1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Well as long as you are happy that's all that counts.It is a nice looking PPS.They seem to have the perfect weight for their size.Enjoy it and that includes shooting it.D*

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
What D* said, you've already bought it because you liked it and that's all that matters. Shoot it in good health. The pictures don't convince me it's refinished but one can only zoom in so much before pixel distortion overrides the ability to read the finish correctly. It's interesting that he has one picture of the left side where the barrel marking would give more information but it's far enough away as to be a worthless photo. Rampant Colt appears to be crisp, that's a plus :(

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Why so glum? It does not appear to be a reblue to me, but I am no expert. I wouldn't be so negative about posting something I really liked....

·
Registered
9,998 Posts
Before you pay 'that' price again - put your money towards decent reference materials, and don't let 'auction fever' get you in its clutches on common revolvers.

If 'you' are happy - then you're happy - but they never made one of something, so if you're patient, you'll find more stuff at more favorable prices.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
did they have gold medallion in the stocks back then??? , i thought they were silver

Beautiful piece though, Congratulations

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not glum I'm pulling some chains.

·
Premium Member
3,248 Posts
I don't think it's a reblue. And I bet it's just the lighting because I think the medallions are silver.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Not a bad re-blue, looks alright from a distance...wrong stocks, fake box.

But, so what?

You can always flip it on Gunbroker for a fast $300.00 or so!

Lol...

Just kidding of course, it looks splendid in every way.

Congratulations!

That's a nice one!

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
It looks al original and fantastic to me, including the box.

WOW, these prewar PPS' just keep escalating rapidly in value.

Congratulations.

We look forward to your range report.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've been doing gun auctions on both sides for forty years so I was not caught up in "auction fever". I have enough reference materials to last me two more lifetimes. I wanted the gun I can afford it so I bought it. At my age it's hard to be patient anymore.
Before you pay 'that' price again - put your money towards decent reference materials, and don't let 'auction fever' get you in its clutches on common revolvers.

If 'you' are happy - then you're happy - but they never made one of something, so if you're patient, you'll find more stuff at more favorable prices.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
The gun is worth what one is willing to pay for it. It doesn't look like a reblue to me and to me the "box" does absolutely nothing so shoot it and ENJOY IT.

·
Registered
11,688 Posts
Because you only live once and life is short. Shoot it with loads that it was intended for, my PP isn't as nice as this one but is a good shooter. No need to abuse it but why save it for the next guy.
What does living only once have to do with it? There are literally hundreds of the same type pistol in lesser condition for a lot less money that would shoot just as well if all you want is a shooter. If you are going to sweat the price get a nice 95% revolver, because they were all 100% at one time, and got to 95% by being shot.

By the price paid, you can see why the previous owner saved it for the next guy.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
No need to defend your purchase to anyone, bearcat6. If you like the weapon, then that's what counts. The old Colt axiom goes somewhat like this, I think: "Colts are like Corvettes. They never depreciate." BTW, in the Gunrunner Auction pix I saw a bar code on the hang tag. Is that from 1930?

·
Registered
223 Posts
I think its beautiful.

And if it rings your bell, congrats.

These PP always looked so elegant to me. Sleek, and dressy. Like a refined tuxedo, not a billy club.

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
Looks like a nice pistol. Here's a question; why on this forum, more than any of the other various collectible hobby forums, do people constantly talk about prices? My rule is I don't tell people what I paid, so they don't have to sweat it. Growing up in the South, it was considered very impolite to talk about prices. For a glimpse behind the safe door, I've bought almost mint guns like this for under $200, and paid too much for others. It all evens out and you learn. Why does every post in this forum begin with "What's this worth...." or "Did I pay too much..." or "I STOLE this!..." Lets just enjoy the guns and not become stock brokers.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Az,

Rather than query why the price inquiries on this forum, I am constantly perplexed by the number of folks who know zip about Colts (that pretty much describes me), post the question and link to the gun, and get many and accurate replies and what amount to appraisals for said gun. From folks, many of whom do this (buy and sell) for a living. It would be pretty easy to visit here and conclude that this forum is mostly a hang-out for collectors. Perhaps this factor into the why of price discussions. The good folks here are stunningly generous with their time and advise, and it does not suprise me to see folks take advantage of that. I think it is just human nature (at least in this country) to get confirmation that we did well when dickering. It does not seem rude (by forum standards) to discuss price, but the folks here do seem to have LOT a patience for one shot appraisals. And unlike stocks where when you buy a share you get a share, with a used gun it might be a Colt, it might be refinished, it might be a piece gun or it might have a fake box and goodies.

But I do get your point. With my recent and first Colt revolver purchase, I did not really care whether I could get it for 650, 750 or 850, the amount of research I did here at least let me confirm it is a real unmolested Colt. I think in the end, when you say "Lets just enjoy" you can parse out the cost to some extent, as long as the actual gun is what you thought it was. Now if I could just find that Forum for Colt enthusiests who actually shoot the dang things.........:)

Craig

1 - 20 of 31 Posts