Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
I'll venture that it is the '94. That trigger is a tad fat. (But I don't pay attention to newer '94's, so triggers may have gained weight in the last 100 years.)

Also, the on the '76, the magazine screw beneath the front sight is in need of attention--not screwed in flush with the tube. Or perhaps that is the imposter!

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
The imposter is the 1876, which is a Chaparral, the rest are all Winchesters. Had a Winchester 1876 in 45-60 but it was too low end and didn't shoot well, so it was sold off a while back. This Chaparral shoots like its possessed, the value plummeted since I bought it, so I'll probably hang on to it forever. Its in 45-75 and is my Go To gun for shooting Pyrodex loads with all the attendant smoke! Love it! Took it out west 2008 and shot it at the 500 yard gong at my brothers gun range in Billings Montana. The 1892 was my dads first centerfire rifle, purchased in 1944 in a barber shop in Las Vegas New Mexico. He took it back to Youngstown Ohio while on leave, took it apart (now I know where I get it from) but then he was shipped out to the Philippines and the family moved while he was overseas. They only brought the receiver with them so the rest is a rebuild. Took it to Wyoming's Red Desert in 1998 with 400 rounds of pyrodex loaded cartridges and had a blast shooting 300-400 yard into a canyon wall and also up in Central Montana near the CM Russell area. The 1886 I rebuilt and wrote it up on the leverguns forum, then took it prarie dog hunting near a place called Pompeys Pillar in Montana, back in 2010 I believe. Great guns and great memories. And even the 94 Trapper in 30 WCF was taken up to Union Pass in Wyoming in the 1990s where I had fun with it. MLV, how did you get the thumbnail to show up in your post, thats what I was trying to do.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Dan, if I knew I would gladly share. Sometimes it happens, sometimes not. Good guns you showed.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Awesome lever guns! I would love to own a 76' in .45-75 :) Is your 66' an early production carbine? It's interesting that it has the crescent butt plate rather than the carbine butt plate.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Awesome lever guns! I would love to own a 76' in .45-75 :) Is your 66' an early production carbine? It's interesting that it has the crescent butt plate rather than the carbine butt plate.
Yes it is in the 42000 serial range if I recall. Mfg 1870. The books state up to about 100000 serial the carbines came with rifle buttplates in something like a 3:1 ratio. Bought it last year on GB from a Texas dealer. Then the next weeks auction had the cleaning rod from this carbine up as a separate auction. Grrrr........ My fault I guess for not asking in advance if it comes with the cleaning rod but still... can't help being left with a bad taste in my mouth with that seller.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I too have a Chaparral '76, mine in 45-60. Killed a buffalo in KS with it. Loaded a 410gr. bullet and 50 grains of 2f BP. I know what you mean about the value plummeting. They were expensive when they came out, but I had wanted one so bad for so long I jumped on it. I too will keep mine.

Great pics. of some of my favorite guns.

Dan

·
Registered
643 Posts
Yes it is in the 42000 serial range if I recall. Mfg 1870. The books state up to about 100000 serial the carbines came with rifle buttplates in something like a 3:1 ratio. Bought it last year on GB from a Texas dealer. Then the next weeks auction had the cleaning rod from this carbine up as a separate auction. Grrrr........ My fault I guess for not asking in advance if it comes with the cleaning rod but still... can't help being left with a bad taste in my mouth with that seller.

gosh that 66 carbine is downright gorgeous...if it was from Collecting Texas I'm not surprised about the cleaning rods. Totally chaps my arse when they pull the rods out of an original rifle to sell seperately, may the Winchester Gods have the last laugh...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts