Colt Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As we watch the auctions it is always strange when something just sits and never gets a bid -while others get numerous bids for a seemingly equally priced or even a lesser gun -----I am not in the market /nor do I have an interest in the sale -BUT ____any ideas why this Python has gotten NO bids??????????
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=60421874

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Not being part of the Python craze, I might guess it is just sort of in the twilight zone - perhaps too nice to be a shooter, but without original stocks and the box and trappings that make it more collectible. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

·
Registered
759 Posts
It's early days yet. I'll bet it gets some action toward the end of the week. I was following a gun I wanted on another auction site, and thought I'd walk away with it, since there were no bidders. Last 2 days produced over 30 bids, and all were well over what I wanted to pay.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Tom_M Said:

"It's early days yet. I'll bet it gets some action toward the end of the week."

Another reason there is no bids is that the gun might just be over priced for the starting bid!

As an example.... I just got back from a large gunshow. I've been gone for several days, but I had the opportunity to talk with a dealer friend of mine who offered one of the forum members here 2 Colt .22 Mag Officer Model Match revolvers, both mint condition that he had in his shop. (an earlier thread) The jist of the story was the member wanted to know the value of a mint .22 Mag OMM from 1960 and if it was worth $900. Concensus was of the group said it should be worth $1200 to $1500. Some members wanted the location of the dealer if he wasn't going to buy the gun. The member was was reluctant to divulge the location of the guns, even though he didn't want them. I had been offered the guns by the same dealer before the poster so I suppled the dealers name and phone number to the group. This dealer was telling me that he never received one call on the guns even though the original poster was quoted $900 each for them...

So, even though there is a lot of talk about what guns maybe worth in the group, it seems that no one is willing to pay even a "seeming" bargin price to get one...

I have been curious about the price jump on Pythons that I see being discussed on the forum. So while I was at the Reno show, I was looking at pyhons to get an idea of what they were really selling for. There were numerous pythons offered for sale ... I saw a couple 6 inches and and a 4 incher that didn't sell at $695 asking price... All were in nice condition. I don't collect the Pythons but I was curious since I've seen so much comment here about how valuable they have become and I was interested to see if they were really "hot" sellers at high prices...

After some careful price checking I don't think the selling price is anywhere near what some of the asking prices you see. Just my opinion. Bob Best

·
Registered
759 Posts
You may very well be correct, Bob. The starting price seemed high to me, as well, but Pythons priced under $1k don't seem to last too long, unless they're in poor condtion. We'll have to watch this one, and see what transpires.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Hi Tom,

You said: "You may very well be correct, Bob. The starting price seemed high to me, as well, but Pythons priced under $1k don't seem to last too long, unless they're in poor condtion. We'll have to watch this one, and see what transpires."

Yes ... maybe the on-line auctions command more money.... I was surprised though that Reno which is a good sized collectors show didn't seem to support the high prices. I found about twenty different Pythons being offered. A couple of the early no letter suffix or prefixes sold quite quickly but the '70s and '80s guns just languished. There was a six inch barrel V prefix gun that was available all four days of the show it was in vg to exc condition... (others at 95%+ condition)... The V prefix finally sold for $635 ... it started at $895... no takers until Sunday afternoon! At least two others that I was keeping track of didn't sell at the $750 & $800 they were offered for ...

I think I am going to have to follow a few of these on the on-line auctions and see how they perform and see what the final sales price is for the various models and vintages... Keep us posted on how this one does! Bob Best

·
Registered
658 Posts
It could be a combination of the high opening bid and the seller having no feedback, except as a buyer.

·
Registered
778 Posts
The correct service grips/stocks for that Python for a pristine set on Ebay, are going to run In the realm of $200.00, and for that gun in its condition the grips/stocks will have to be perfect.

So right off the bat his starting price is up $200.00 as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
111 Posts
This gun is a nice condition shooter as it sits. Probably worth the the starting bid, but not much more. It's a "project gun". Right off the bat I need to start looking for a set of factory grips. And I have to console myself that I'll never have the box and paperwork - not a good feeling when you part with this kind of dough.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
My experiance mirrors Bob's. A lot of discussion about what a gun should be worth but a lot of guns priced that way just don't sell. I saw many pythons for less than $1000. at a recent large show too.

·
Registered
21 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
This guy simply needs to lower his starting bid to $.01 and change his name to joe/deb... http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=60710018

They certainly have the majic touch...

/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
How true. Those folks seem to thrive by applying a good coat of wax to their guns and then making use of an unusually good photography setup.

·
Registered
29 Posts
...and that's not even one of their better stagings. Is it just me, or did they go a bit overboard with the goop on the stocks on that one?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts