Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
rj, you require an answer to a question where there is no correct answer!

Some folks will say the box means nothing to them and is not worth anything extra. After all you can't shoot a box, unless you use it as the target!

Other folks will say that a box is an added benefit in the purchase of a gun. Nice for collecting purposes. How much more is it worth to the price of the gun? Maybe something, maybe nothing.Your guess is as good as mine.

Still others (like me) use a box as a tiebreaker when faced with a marginal deal.

But no matter how you slice it a box does have value. It can be sold on it's own. They are also great for storing excess guns where you don't have the space in the safe to hang them, or don't want your guns to get banged up on the shelf. They are also invaluable if you have a large collection and you are planning a move. A proper box will help to protect your toys.

I have seen that style of box in decent condition sell (by themselves) for as little $20. I've also see the guy who just has to have one, pay more than $85 for one! Does this mean the price of the gun is increased a minimum of $20 to a Maximum of $85 if accompanied with gun? Heck I don't know, and I doubt anyone here really knows. Are you selling or buying? That will affect a persons perspective.

The real question is WHAT IS IT WORTH TO YOU?

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Opinions will vary, but most lean toward a substantial increase in value if the correct box accompanies the gun. Current box prices will run from as low as 5-10 bucks, for the common stuff, to several hundred dollars, for the harder to find boxes. I have known a few rare boxes to go into the thousands, with the highest being a $5100.00(not a typo...five thousand one hundred) S&W box from the 1800's that sold on Jim Supica's Old Town Station auction.
FleaBay has blown empty gun box prices out into left field, and they have almost disappeared from the gun shows.
Correctly boxed guns will be, with few exceptions, priced higher than a similar condition gun without the correct box. The empty box market has caused a lot of guns to be offered with boxes mismatched to the gun...Wrong time period, wrong s/n, etc., and the blank label market adds to the problem, unless the buyer is well versed on boxes and labels, and knows the difference.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Interesting topic, really. My personal opinion is that the box adds to the value of the gun. NIB... must mean there is a box? As mentioned earlier, I also view boxes as a bonus. But, not having a box would not stop or slow me from buying a gun that I want. It is the gun that I view as most important. I would not deduct for not having a box either... although I might give it a try in the price negotiation.

I would never separate a matched box from a gun. The "box market" has exploded because of Ebay. In the last week or so, a Camp Perry 22 box sold for about $1150 there. Amazing. You have to realize that a Camp Perry GUN in Excellent condition was selling for $1200 to $1500 10 to 15 years ago. Pricing seems to match rarity. I have purchased "safe queens" with non-matching boxes, but of the correct period. That is worth something, but is not the same as the correct box with the serial number matching the gun.

It is funny. I have boxes of boxes all stored away in plastic zip lock bags so they don't get banged up. I wonder what my wife would think if I died and she was rooting around through my stuff and found all of these empty boxes. My guess is they would probably go to the trash.

If I have a gun and find a "correct period" box that matches it, I would often buy it. But, that was before the recent wave of auction-based high pricing. Ebay has changed the collector market. For the life of me, I can not understand why a Python box is worth $75 or more when they made so many and so recently?? This will probably change.

It all goes back to YOU. If it is important to you, then it is important.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I have stated before,that I won't go looking for a box,just to have one for every gun. I guess this is the difference between a shooter and a true collector. Unless the box is original to the gun,I won't spend the money to buy one.But I will not "sell" a box that is numbered to one of my guns either,but have sold some that weren't. In last couple of days,a Triple Lock box,barely recognizable as even a box,went for over $100,on eBay. It is ludicrous,IMO. Showing this,and other box prices on eBay,to my wife,she now realizes that I am not as "gun addicted" as some! Thanks "box buyers";she'll go back in the wolf den for a while before her next rant on guns!

The bit about "protection" and "storage" for guns makes little sense,as some of these boxes I wouldn't put a $1.00 squirt pistol into for safekeeping. The we have the acidity from the printed cardboard issue,and the oil from the gun ruining the high priced box. Before my wife retired,she "appropriated" many nice, heavy plain brown,cardboard mailing boxes from her work place. They are about12"x8"X3",just perfect for safely storing handguns,and they stack nicely in the gun vault. Bud

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bud you and I are going to disagree on this one, as "protection" and "storage" make perfect sense. It is undeniable that a gun in a box is protected from being banged by other guns.

For the guy who has many guns laying on shelves gaining access to one in the back often means moving a whole lot of guns to get to the one you want. No matter how careful one is, there is always the exposure to accidentally banging, bumping, scratching and the like. Call it handling marks if you want or call it carelessness. Whatever you call it, it happens if you play with your guns. Clearly a gun in a box is not subject to such a risk.

Regarding storage I would agree with you if your statement was limited to long term storage and the effects of " the acidity from the printed cardboard issue." But for short term storage where one actually maintains, cleans, and inspects, their arms on a timely basis, box storage makes perfect sense.

Apparently you buy into the box storage and protection to some extent as evidenced by the boxes your wife obtained for your use.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
good afternoon too, i have a interesting question that i require a answer to that members of this board can answer how much more ( to the price of a colt revolver ) is the box and papers worth ??
this is a late 1939-40 colt offical police 6 inch barrel lanyard ring
many thanks rj

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
There's a much cheaper way to obtain boxes for storage only. A couple of companies make a series of two piece kraft boxes, similar to those once used for GI 1911's. They are made specifically for handgun storage, available in about a dozen different sizes, good quality, sized by frame size/barrel length, and average price is about three bucks each. They come with an unattached printed adhesive end label, with all the appropriate blank lines to identify each gun, if you choose to use the labels. Greatest thing since sliced bread. Especially for military handguns.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Blokey posted the link to the one I use, and there used to be another source in the Pittsburg area, but I don't recall the name. You won't be disappointed with the Roberts boxes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts