Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Re: what are these stampings on \'78 Python?

"VP" = "verified proof"-Final inspection and test-A Colt 'tradition" for years(won't see it on most Govt. contract pieces,as the "military boys" did the proofing.

The N is probably the assemblers code mark-so if the gun had anything wrong with it-they'd know who to blame!

Nice gun. Bunch of Pythons up for auction in my area,but I am looking at a New Service,and a couple of vintage S&Ws!

Bud

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts

BTW, you can avoid further cylinder line. This does not come from shooting an action like the Python. It comes from closing the crane without properly aligning the cylinder. The bolt ends up out of the notch and the cylinder is then typically turned with the bolt scratching a line until it drops into the notch. As you close the crane, position the cylinder so a chamber is aligned with the barrel. Watch the bolt side and see that it does not scratch the cylinder but drops into the notch as the cylinder latches. Watch the bolt during normal single and double action cycling. Note that it is off the cylinder until it drops into the notch lead in. Sorry about so lengthy a discourse. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
115 Posts

A1A,

That's not a lengthy discourse, that needs to be said and said often and then said again.

I picked up another Python a couple of weeks ago from my dealer (hardly discernible cylinder line, great condition) who was taking delivery of it for me.

I grabbed it immediately to look it over and opened the crane so he could get the serial number then closed it and put it down. In the mean time he picked it up again swung out the cylinder and then closed it and spun the cylinder to lock the bolt. I could have choked him. Reminds me of the gunshop dummy who brought a NIB early 3rd Gen SAA I had just bought to half cock then lowered the hammer and turned the cylinder. I wish that most people would learn something about revolvers before messing around with them.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

A1A,

thank you. hate to admit this but i was totally unaware of this. very kind of you.

mike

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
A1A,

thank you. hate to admit this but i was totally unaware of this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nor was I until I became more interested in Colt revolvers and was learning about correct timing from posts by the likes of dfariswheel and suddenly realized that the line shouldn't come from normal cycling of a PROPERLY TIMED revolver with an action like the Python, Detective Special etal. However, later actions like the MkIII and SF revolvers such as DS-II and Magnum Carry are different. On those, the bolt can drop almost as soon as it exits the notch or at least before the lead in, so it will drag in normal operation. Again lengthy. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

1 - 6 of 6 Posts