Colt Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Back at it again with 30 Carbine. I very rarely shoot it; and I didn't want to spend cash, but I thought I might have items that would work.

I'm trying to use Dillon conversion kit for .32 caliber and the 30 carbine just doesn't have a big enough rim to keep the brass in the .32 shellholder. The rim's diameter barely sticks out past the end of the case walls. I do believe I've read that it headspaces on the mouth.
Lee #22 shellholder seems to work in the single stage, but it is made for .32 ACP.

I have 30-20 dies, which is like a 32-20, but for a T/C with a .308 bore. The 30 carbine is .308 as well.
Redding 30-20 dies and it just doesn't want to size, decap, dispense powder, seat, or crimp. I've had to muscle 4 stuck cases out already (too big a shellholder).

Even my Lee FCD, that says both 30 carbine and 32-20, doesn't want to play nice.

I'm going to start with calling around to see what shellholder will keep that brass in place when I start cranking.

Learning quite a bit.

Prescut

·
Premium Member
998 Posts
Yeah, I dont shoot 30 Carbine enough to warrant the Dillon conversion. Load a couple hundred single stage in the winter to take care of my CMP Carbine matches.
Several years ago I learned the hard way of OAL importance. Ha!
Vic

·
Registered
761 Posts
.44 2 5/8 Sharps bottleneck. Received my order of RCC lathe turned brass the other day and put a few together to check out the brass.

The primer pockets are tight at .206 so I swaged them out to .208 and the cases needs to be annealed.

Because they are lathe turned they do not have the capacity of drawn brass but 80 grains of black powder with a 520 grain paper patch is enough out of a Sharps military rifle.

Take care, Duane

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just picked up 1000 185 gr Zero JHP. I'm looking at trying them under 4.5 gr of Bullseye. I just have to play around with the COAL. This is a completely new load for me since I've been loading 230gr RN for a very long time with either BE, Titegroup, or Clays. If anyone shoots this combo, please advise on a COAL that works. It'll save me some time and money in the long run.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Have been shooting and loading for my 1911's almost every day. New,to me Lyman 452488 came today. Late 1950's in near mint condition from original owner's son. Last used round 1980. Going to fire up a Lyman 10# pot from about the same time period. Shooting in a series 70 GC,and my commander. Just an easy step back in time with classic American iron.

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Seems like a good time to catch up on some .45 ACP. 230 grain LRN over 4.8 grains Green Dot. Plenty of components on hand to make more this afternoon.

Update to the above, the blue tub is now full of 45 ACP, loaded some 44 Magnum, with 18.5 grains of 2400 with a 240 Grain LSWC, and also some 38 Special with 3.4 grains Red Dot under a 158 grain LSWC. Should have enough loaded for a couple weeks if I can keep Mrs. Saw out of the stash.:)

That Dillon 550 is a fine piece of equipment.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I bought a new Dillon 550C press last year and finally got a chance to set it up and load some 45Acp. 230gr FMJ (zero bullets) over 5.0 grs of bullseye, CCI LP primers. I've been loading for about 15 yr's on a RCBS special 5. What was I thinking for waiting so long on the Dillon? 9mm are next.

·
Premium Member
5,697 Posts
38 S&W on a Lee pro 1000 progressive. 38 special shell plate. And the lee dies are as follows, sizer-decapping says 38 super, expander die say 9mm and finally seat crimp die says 9mm.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Got a brand new(old stock) Orange Crusher on the cheap because it was missing the handle. It's my 3rd OC,the one on the far right. So took the handle out of the T mag which is the same as the OC's. Made a shorter T handle for the T mag. Like it a BUNCH better being shorter. I don't load rifles on the T mag.

Loaded and shot some 243 cast RCBS 95G SIL today out of my stainless TC pro hunter. Then went for a hike hunt in the rain with it and my hunting partner, 1 1/2 y.o. Doberman. Very well trained.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Loading 44 magnum with my Dillon SD, love that press. Started with shot shells useing Speer capsules and then went to 220 grain jswc. Now I am on the 240s until I run out of jacketed bullets

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Like 459459 I'm also loading up some .44 Magnum. Lot's of social distancing time in the shop :)
I'm decapping the brass using my RCBS Rockchucker and a Lee Universal De-capping Die. De-capping before the brass goes for a tumble with some steel pins.

IMG_2472.jpg

I use a RCBS Piggyback Conversion on my Rockchucker to load .44 Magnum. Loading a 240g LSWC over 7.0g of W231 for a nice easy shooting load. I don't shoot .44 Magnum very often so I'm only making 50.

IMG_2475.jpg

These rounds are for my S&W Model 29-2 (1977), the first revolver I bought new.

IMG_2476.jpg

21 - 32 of 32 Posts