Colt Forum banner

What book??

2K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  ljbobdan 
#1 ·
I've always loved single action colts. bought my first about 15 years ago and a few since then, I'm amazed at what some of you on this site know about them and I'd like to someday get to that point. What would you recommend as the best book to get to start learning as many facts about everything from first to third gens. Thanks...

#2 ·
There are many. For 1st gens the best is probably John Kopec's 'A Study of the Colt Single Action Revolver'.

Other good one's are: 'The post-War Colt Single Action Revolver' by Wilkerson
'Colt Single Action Revolver Handbook 1955-1975' by Wilkerson
'Colt Peacemaker Encyclopedia' 2 vols by Cochran
'The book of Colt Firearms' by Wilson
'The Official Record of the Colt Single Action Revolver' by Wilkerson (1st gens only)

There are others, but any of these will get you started, and then you'll have to get all of them you can find. Believe me, I know.

#4 ·
I agree with Chaffee's list and would put a plug in for George Garton's, Colt's SAA: Post War Models (1979). Not as in depth as Wilkerson but a good solid overview of the various Post-War SAAs, New Frontiers, and Colt single action .22s. Garton also has good information on the various commemoratives. Plus you can buy it pretty reasonable (under $40 from Amazon) from several sources.

#6 ·
If your interest is First Generation SAA's I would recommend a few of Cochran's books as starters. There are errors in them but for ease of use when researching and for the vast amount of information and for the most reasonable of costs; I like them. I would buy the small book on the EVOLUTION of the SAA and then vol. 1 and 2 of the encyclopedia. I have Kopec; Sutherland; Wilkerson; Garton; Brown and others but when I want to research a Colt SAA my first go to is Cochran.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.