Colt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering my first SAA purchase, and I have settled on a New Frontier. Question =What Caliber New Frontier to get??? Any special advantage in the 45LC over the 44 Special?? Which is mre common?? Also, anything to watch out for when buying a New Frontier?? Note, this WILL be a gun to shoot occasionally as well as lust over!!! Thanks, Bill.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Are you talking about the older models like 2nd and third Generation or the latest ones out of the Colt factory. Makes a differance. I would consider the newest ones made now becaseu the throats are probably spot on in size.As for caliber I would go 45 colt and learn to reload for it too. Most bang for the bang,aclassic must have anyway, will do the job if you hunt ,operates with low pressure efficiently. Are your eyes still seeing sharp? then get the 4 3/4" barrel to take advantage of the packing carrying advantage. IF not maybe the 7.5" barrel. And then enjoy the fun!!

·
Premium Member
5,780 Posts
I have a 5 1/2 45 Colt NF but if I could do it over, it would be a 44 special in either 5 1/2 or 7 1/2 in. just my .02

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
I'd go with the .44 special, but only because I have several others in .45Colt.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
As much as I like the Colt Single Action Army in 45, with a New Frontier I think I'd be inclined to go for a 5 1/2" 44 Special.

·
Registered
438 Posts
If you handload or are planning to do so, you will love the 44 Special. While the 45 is a traditional SAA caliber rightly associated with Colt and the Old West, the New Frontier's adjustable sights and sporty image seem to match the "connoiseur's caliber" very nicely. If you are not going to handload you will find the 45 cartridges a bit easier, and a little less expensive, to find.

The second gen NFs are scarce in 44 Special. Third gens are not, but the vast majority seem to sport 7.5" bbls. The new ones do not seem to be very available yet, but the Elliason sights look to be an improvement. I plan to tuck away some money and wait for a fair deal on a new 5.5" 44 Special NF to come along.

·
Registered
615 Posts
.44 Special all the way!

·
Registered
946 Posts
I guess I am surprised by the .45 fans who lean .44 Special when it comes to the New Frontier. Just curious to hear more of the reasoning behind that. As it happens, my own two New Frontiers are in .44 Special but I had one in .45 Colt years ago that was simply the most accurate revolver I have ever run across. Pure silliness on my part to sell it but it was one of the first centerfire revolvers I ever owned and didn't appreciate what I had.

mm6mm6 - I recollect you were the one that posted the link to the Gunblast page when they reviewed the 5.5" New Frontier in .44 Special. Just curious if the you ever ended up with one of the new ones and, if so, what are your impressions?

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I guess I am surprised by the .45 fans who lean .44 Special when it comes to the New Frontier. Just curious to hear more of the reasoning behind that.

I don't know the answer but I will offer a GUESS. The 44 Russian/44 Special have long been considered the most accurate big bore revolver cartridges of all time. I don't know if this has ever been proven, but it's what they say :)

So, nostalgia/tradition may play a part in choosing the 44 caliber in a target revolver.

John Gross

·
Premium Member
5,780 Posts
The other reason I would opt for 44 special is if I ever wanted to do so, I could load it up to some respectable levels safely in the NF SAA.
45 Colt 900-950 FPS with a 255 gr. bullet
44 Spec 1100-1150 FPS with a 245 gr. bullet

The plow handle grip frame is not best design for the upper 44 special loads but then again, they would only be used when prefered for hunting.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
44 Spl in your choice of bbl length!

·
Registered
508 Posts
44Spl., 5 1/2" barrel. Got my gun guy contacting all the distributors, but no luck so far. Has found the 45 Cal., 7 1/2" New Frontier, but I am holding out for the 44 Spl.

·
Registered
350 Posts
My favorite is .45 with 7 1/2 in barrel. I would say either .45 or .44 because the brass is more durable than other calibers and you can become inventive with load combinations. Short barrels are great work guns, but I have to go with the long version. After all, Matt Dillion (James Arness), Paladin (Richard Boone). Wyatt Earp (Hugh O'Brian) and the most famous Wild Bill Hickock carried the 7 1/2 Colt's SA when he wasn't sporting a brace of Colt's Navies. The added length gives a slightly better sight alignment. It just boils down to what appeals to your eye. Either way - you can't go wrong with a Colt.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts