Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw this on gun broker curious as to what causes this the guy says it happened on the first trip to the range

Attachments

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Various reasons, too thick of plating, not cleaned properly prior to plating so application didn't attach to metal properly. Could have had a flake in the chamber and upon firing it caused it to peel back as such, poor care etc. many reasons why.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)

·
Registered
136 Posts
I thought they routinely flashed with copper prior to Nickel plating, and I sure don't see any evidence on this one.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Might it be lead buildup from the boolits?

I think people have posted here before that their blue/nickel was coming off, but it turned out to be lead and powder residue fused to the cylinder.

John Gross

Reactions: capstan

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Might it be lead buildup from the boolits?

I think people have posted here before that their blue/nickel was coming off, but it turned out to be lead and powder residue fused to the cylinder.

John Gross

From the pics, It looks like johngross hit the nail on the head. I have had similar buildup on my new SAA from shooting factory loads that were a little hotter than cowboy loads. It looked like it took the bluing off BUT after some careful cleaning, it came right off -it was residue from shooting.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
From the pics, It looks like johngross hit the nail on the head. I have had similar buildup on my new SAA from shooting factory loads that were a little hotter than cowboy loads. It looked like it took the bluing off BUT after some careful cleaning, it came right off -it was residue from shooting.

The guy said he fired it twice and this happened

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
The seller is a forum member, I believe. That said, isn't a Nickel Python supposed to have a "N" stamping on the grip frame? I see the "INS" marking on the left but no other stamps. If factory nickel I'd be surprised it was flaking after one range visit but there is no mention if he's the original owner or an owner 4 times removed. I wonder how this would letter? All questions that one needs to pursue when shelling out large sums of money for a used Python. FWIW.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts

You need to read between the lines :)

It could mean only two cartridges, but could also mean the first time it was shot was one box of shells, and the second time it was three boxes of shells. He also says it "appeared unfired", meaning he does not know the past history. Also, says he got a 2 inch group. Bragging about a 2 inch group with only two rounds fired is a bit odd :)

Not saying the seller is being dishonest or hiding anything, but clarification is needed if you're interested in purchasing the Python.

John Gross

Reactions: mafd2

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
could that be a 5 or an S Followed by Ni as in nickel? Just asking

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
I'm confident that johngross is correct that this is powder/lead residue build-up; the pattern of flaking is exactly the same as the powder/lead residue that you see on any blued gun. Nickle is not going to flake off from firing a few rounds through the gun. If the nickle plating was that poorly done, you would see chipping and flaking on the hammer, trigger, cylinder bolt and other moving parts.

Best regards,

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
I'd say this is flaking and not powder burns. OP is talking about the side of the cylinder between the flutes and not the face of the cylinder. Some pics the gun is shown with OEM gen II stocks and some with aftermarket stocks.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
There have been several threads here with similar problems of lead buildup on the front side of the cylinder. Here are three of those threads with a photo from one of them.

I'm not saying the Python being discussed here is lead/carbon buildup, but it is a possibilty.

John Gross.

http://www.coltforum.com/forums/colt-revolvers/44779-cleaning-carbon-off-colt-saa-after-use.html

http://www.coltforum.com/forums/rel...ve-powder-residue-damage-cylinder-bluing.html

http://www.coltforum.com/forums/reloading-range-reports/24945-cylinder-marks-after-shooting-saa.html

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,871 Posts
What really bugs and worries me is this strange "need" to disassemble the cylinder assembly for photos on sale guns.
This shows nothing of any possible value, and removing the ejector on the old style cylinder assembly is always risky at best.

The old style ejectors are staked in place on the ejector rod. This staking usually at least slightly deforms the top few threads on the rod, and no matter how careful you are, sometimes the ejector doesn't thread back on properly and is crooked on the rod.
This causes major problems, often that the cylinder will bind or even fail to close.
For this reason, at any signs of thread deformation I chased the threads with a die.

This is like having a really nice Colt Single Action so for sale photos you remove the barrel and the firing pin from the hammer.
Serves NO purpose and often screws up the gun.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
I'd say this is flaking and not powder burns. OP is talking about the side of the cylinder between the flutes and not the face of the cylinder. Some pics the gun is shown with OEM gen II stocks and some with aftermarket stocks.
Yes, I know what part to the cylinder the OP meant. This appears to be typical powder/lead residue build-up. I get this a lot, particularly when shooting lead bullets. I have an old K-22 that's a real PIB to clean this off of.

I would be extremely surprised if the nickle was flaking off after only one trip to the range.

Best regards,

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
I just looked at the photos in the GB listing, and I might amend my earlier opinion. Something seems a little off with this gun. This could be a refinish and therefore all bets off. Look at the last photo where you can see the face of the cylinder; it has a slightly "soft" appearance, the cylinder clearly has been buffed and refinished at some point. Also, as an earlier poster pointer out the grips change throughout the sequence of photos, as does the quality of the images, and the background. Something is amiss here.

Best regards,

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I thought there was something amiss with the ejector being removed or maybe it's boogered up and the gun no longer functions properly. That all by it's self is enough for me to seek other potential purchases, not this one.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts