·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own one .22 Officers Match Model

and one 6" .357 Trooper.

I have also owned a 6" Python (too nose heavy for me, a lot

like the Ruger GP100.)Sold it.

and a 6" Trooper Mk III .357 (also a bit nose heavy for me)

Sold it.

But the slimmer Trooper (and Match Model) fit me just right.

(sounds like a fairy tale, haha)

If I am feeling cheap, or poor in the wallet, the .22 gets

to go to the range.

The .357 gets the nod when I am in a nice handloading mood.

I still have a hard time picking out my favorite.

Not saying anything bad about the other Colt revolvers,

fine weapons all.

What is your favorite shooter, and why?

This is a great forum, I have learned A LOT.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Probably 2 matched .22 Official Polices,a 4" and 6" from the mid 50's. No adjustable sights to blame on misses,and frig around with,as these are "plinkers" using whatever bricks of .22s "Wally's World has on sale the cheapest!

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

·
Registered
794 Posts
The Colt revolver I shoot the most is the gun affectionately known around my homestead as Elvis. Elvis is the King (of Rock and Roll), and the gun is a 6" King Cobra. It goes on almost every outing to the field & forest. Good medicine in the event of a mountain lion encounter. Also tons of fun for general plinking.

From rabbits to snakes to deer, coyotes, squirrels, and more, Elvis had proven his worth. He functions flawlessly and his uncanny ability to hit the intended target even when my aim is off, leads me to believe the gun knows ahead of time where it will shoot, and I am only there to hold it while it does its own work.

Long live the King!

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
My choice of weapon is really huge when open up my safe.
Not. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I only have one 6" Diamondback in.22LR but it gives lots of fun at the range! In the near future it will get some company.

·
Administrator
7,046 Posts
Model 357 6"

·
Registered
75 Posts
The Colt that I have shot the most is my 4" Trooper MkIII.
After that would be my Police Positive Special. Alas, neither is on my carry license here in Kansas, so they don't get much exercise any more. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OH MY GOSH GUNKWAZY!!! WOW!!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

But I like it.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Gunkwazy:

The compensator (I hope I called it right) on the barrel, was that a factory job, a customshop job or was it done later?

Just curious.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Yes, it's called a Compensator and NO it's not factory.
It was done by a company called Jet Power industries.
I've taken a closer pic along with pics of the new sights I recently installed on her.
The rear sight is an Elliason and the front is a Patridge style.
I have not had the chance to make the adjustments on these, but you can see how easy it is to see these compared to the standard Python sights. This style of sights came standard on the Colt Gold Cup National Match pistols.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Very impressive I must say!

Thanks for your swift reply.

Keep them smoking!

Gunsmoke

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have an older 4" Official Police in .38 Special that I've fired over five thousand rounds. It was a police turn-in when I bought it 11 years ago. Action is super smooth, and gun still locks tight. Finish was pretty bad, so I had it refinished in Armolloy, and added a pair of Herrett's checkered Detective model walnut grips, and an El Paso Threepersons holster. Its been everywhere with me.

Mostly I shoot wadcutters, although it handles (+)P
158-LHP's just fine.

JERRY

·
Registered
267 Posts
My little Diamondback by far.

I like my Python and Detective Special and I like the Gov 380.

But,,,

The Diamondback has been with me more than half my life now so it has been shot a lot and will keep getting shot a lot. Its like a good friend you keep coming back to. Just a great little gun.

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
Over the Summer it's been my 8" Python @ 50- & 100-yards with a 2x scope. I find this distance shooting to be a real challenge and lots of fun. The attached pic is an earlier endeavor at 50-yds., I've gotten a little better in achieving tighter groups recently with a 4x scope.

FYI, there's an informative article in the Oct/Nov issue of Guns & Ammo HANDGUNS magazine on Colt's .357 Python 50-year anniversary. There I learned that Colt recommends shooting jacketed bullets in the Python to avoid leading from unjacketed bullets (and my experience confirms this).

·
Registered
182 Posts
This summer I went through 20 boxes of 22 shot shells in my 4inch Diamondback shooting flying carpenter bees in my barn. Loads of fun!!!

·
Registered
909 Posts
In centerfire, a 6" 1970 Python with a Hogue monogrip and a sweet trigger. I bought it from an old bullseye competitor who had shot it until it was out of time; sent it in to Colt for repair and told them to rework the trigger pull, this was about 25 years ago - paid the princely sum of $75 at the time! However, it is not for sale at any price, from my cold dead hands, etc. etc. as it will stack up against any I have ever handled...

Rimfire: my .22 OP has given way to a Challenger (note how I am sidestepping the subject a bit) because it is faster to clean.

Carry and wolf patrol remain PPS and .38-40 NS, respectively; however they don't get fired as much as the other two.

Pleeeease, don't make me pick just ONE /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

1 - 17 of 17 Posts