Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am not really a revolver guy and I don't know exactly which model this is.

Also, there is a number under the white box I edited in on the cylinder release, that matches the number on the crane, under the cyclinder. Is that assembly numbers? It matches the same number stamped on the crane and on the inside of the cyclinder arm as well. The serial number of the butt though, is completely different.

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
New Army/New Navy. I believe the serial number is the one on the butt and the others are assembly numbers but I may be wrong.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
If those are the original stocks, then it's a New Army model in .32-20 caliber. As noted, the serial number is the one on the butt.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
It looks like you have a late (about 1907) New Army/Navy in 32-20/.32WCF as marked on the barrel. The number on the butt is the serial number. The numbers on the other parts are assembly numbers.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Others have identified the model and cleared up the serial number mystery. I would just like to add that the Colt New Army is not a robust design, meaning that the action is somewhat overly complicated. The double action, single action and timing can be amiss. There are really no new parts available, and all the commonly worn/broken used parts are all used up.

In other words, if this one still works properly, then great! But if it doesn't, don't be surprised and don't expect to find a gunsmith who will be eager to get after it.

Probably not a great idea to shoot it a lot. But it is a good example as a model placeholder for the collection.

Hope that helps!

·
Premium Member
1,257 Posts
Sal Lanara can repair/resurrect the New Army. His forte is early Colt DAs. Earlier this year, he brought my .41 New Army back to shootable condition. The gun itself has seen better days and heavily polished/reblued. It was given to me by my Dad many years ago, thus the need to have repaired 😀
Vic

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
Welcome to the COLT Forum from the Cradle Of Liberty...Pennsylvania !!

Enjoy Our Community Zaphod...

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,740 Posts
Here's some general information on the Colt New Army & Navy models.......

If you have more questions, some members here are recognized experts on these Colt's.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts