1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
"Headlining the auction was a Colt .45-caliber revolver that descendants of Earp say was carried during his time in Tombstone, Ariz., and possibly used in the shootout at the O.K. Corral."

It's a funny thing when collecting Antiques, there are forgeries, replaced parts and rubbed out serial numbers. Mr. Glen Boyer has a dubious past and has a following of haters and supporters. Who knows how well the relatives new Waytt and perhaps they just wanted to make a little money. On the other hand perhaps they knew him quite well. Who really knows....would I spend that kind of money? I'd have to have really solid provenance and a boat load of cash in the bank. Considering the latter that rules me out! I can dream though:p

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
The more I read about Wyatt Earp the more I realised how much fiction there is going on. I believe I read somewhere that Wyatt Earp carried a Smith & Wesson Model 3 when the OK Corral gunfight took place, but everyone seems to have their own theory about what he carried.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
The more I read about Wyatt Earp the more I realised how much fiction there is going on. I believe I read somewhere that Wyatt Earp carried a Smith & Wesson Model 3 when the OK Corral gunfight took place, but everyone seems to have their own theory about what he carried.
I have read the same thing that Wyatt had a S&W Model 3 at the OK Corral too. It really does not matter to me as I could never afford to buy one of his revolvers anyway, LOL!

·
Registered
324 Posts
I'm far from any historian by every stretch of the definition, but am sure I've read it was Virgil that fancied the latest Smith & Wesson's and carried one in 44russian. It likely was him to use one in Tombstone. Also noted many different times since that Wyatt had checked & left behind a Smith & Wesson of his own in Alaska while he was up there.. that one being the one never claimed after he left. Far as the OK corral & Tombstone goes, I understood it was Colts... likely one of which nobody will ever have because it was rumored to be accidentally knocked over the railing of the ship-deck (somehow) before they reached Port on him & Josie's way to Alaska. (That Colt) most probably would have been the one used in Tombstone as it was supposedly a favorite of his. Possibly the Smith checked & never claimed there-after was his temporary replacement(?) Makes sense to me.

That's my gathering on the subject.

·
Registered
10,004 Posts
Doc Holiday has a documented 7.5" that he used at the OKC. (Movie histrionics aside) Figured most of the Earps did as well. 1881. SAA was not yet a decade old.

Virgil was known to prefer the S&W #3. Just didn't own the fancy one from the movies..

"There is one gun however, at least in this firearms student’s mind, as well as that of a number of OK Corral aficionados, that quite probably saw action during this legendary fracas. That weapon is Virgil Earp’s sixgun.Virgil was known to have preferred, and often carried, a Smith & Wesson (S&W) New Model No. 3 revolver, in .44 S&W Russian caliber. It is quite likely that it was this same shooting iron that he had tucked in his waistband when he, as Tombstone’s chief of police and a deputy U.S. marshal, confronted the “cowboys,” and moments later fired during the gunfight."

·
Premium Member
4,493 Posts
I have read the same thing that Wyatt had a S&W Model 3 at the OK Corral too. It really does not matter to me as I could never afford to buy one of his revolvers anyway, LOL!
Dont sweat it Abwehr.....I've got one that I'm "pretty sure" Wyatt had at the OK Corral that I'll sell a whole lot less than $225,000. :)

·
Premium Member
4,493 Posts
I have a couple of Ubertis that Wyatt would have used at the OKC. I can sell them cheap. Nickel (movie version) or blue and case :) Got some of Bat's and Doc's guns here too. Should open me a museum I guess. :cool:
I'll write authentication letters for you as soon as I get in touch with Wyatt and Doc and Bat at the next seance.

·
Registered
235 Posts
When Earp went to Alaska, he was met at his first stop, Juneau, Alaska by a marshal & posse, who disarmed him. He was told to be on the steamer the next morning, which was before the marshal's office opened; the revolver is now on display at the Red Dog Saloon there. Notice the trigger guard was removed, gunslinger style for carry in pocket or vest. Smith & Wesson revolver. Gun Revolver Trigger Airsoft gun Starting pistol

·
Registered
9,712 Posts
Earpologist Jeff Morey, tech. advisor for Tombstone went through writer Stuart Lake's old documents and found a few copies of letters where Stuart asked various Earp friends if they might know the whereabouts of his extra long barreled Colt SAA. The barrel was quoted as 10" but Stuart changed it to 12" for his book Frontier Marshal. So, it appears Lake didn't invent the gun. Maybe Earp did, though. But if the gun existed it could very well have been the OK corral gun. A witness at the Earp's trial, the owner of the Bauer meat market a couple doors down from the gunfight site said Earp had a gun that looked "about 14-16 inches long". According to Morey a SAA with a 10" barrel is exactly 15" long. The S&W American Earp "might" have owned is in the Autry museum, but they won't say it was an Earp gun for sure.
What all this comes to is, we'll never know what he used. One thing. The Earps did not wear holsters. I think testimony had Virgil Earp putting his gun back in his wasteband after told the "cowboys" were disarmed right before the fight. Here's the Buntline article I got this stuff from...

Wyatt Earp's Buntline Special - Tombstone History Archives

·
Registered
676 Posts
When Earp went to Alaska, he was met at his first stop, Juneau, Alaska by a marshal & posse, who disarmed him. He was told to be on the steamer the next morning, which was before the marshal's office opened; the revolver is now on display at the Red Dog Saloon there. Notice the trigger guard was removed, gunslinger style for carry in pocket or vest. Smith & Wesson #3 revolver. View attachment 339362

That at looks like a DA .44 which did not become available until 1881 and was such a slow selling model that S&W calalogued them thru 1910 even though all the frames were made pre-1899.

I remember reading Earp was thought to have a 2nd Model American at the OK Corral, he was well know to use his sidearm to buffalo Cowboys and in that role the 8in barreled American would have served him well.

also seems like Virgil carried an earlier 2nd or 3rd Model Russian with the trigger guard spur.

It's one of those small details lost to time, the biggest travesty was that none of the shipping records for MW Robinson in NYC survived. As S&W's largest retailer during the 1870's, most of the early #3 Smiths went to him before going west and I'm sure his shipping records would reveal some welcome surprises...

1 - 20 of 79 Posts