Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
My 2cents

The spicer hearing transcripts exist and Wyatt testified that after encountering Behan who told the Earps he had disarmed the Clanton/McLowery’s that he (Wyatt) placed his pistol that was in his hand in his coat pocket...IMO whatever pistol he had (Colt smith Wesson Merwin Hulbert, Remington) had a standard barrel length for that time which was typically 7-1/2” ... I see no practical advantage in Earp carrying a 10-12” barreled revolver... in fact it would be a disadvantage.... The spicer hearing transcripts do document the serial numbers of both Frank Mclowry and Billy Clinton’s pistols... both appear to have been Colt frontier six shooters 44-40 with 7-1/2” barrels from their serial numbers ( I don’t believe those guns are in anyone’s collections

The long barrel claim is a myth invented by a writer just like Hollywood later invented the myth that the Cochise county cowboy gang all wore red sash’s ... this is also totally made up, yet I see reenactors wearing a red sash on the street of Tombstone frequently.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I live in Tombstone for part of the year .. it’s a very interesting and charming place if you like old west history... I can tell you that a lot of locals there don’t care for the Earps and the legacy of controversy that the gunfight created lives on to this day.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The buildings from left to right in the above painting ..If memory is working . El Papago cash store, Bauer’s meat store, Flys boarding house, Harwood house... I don’t think the participants of the gunfight were that spread out like the painting depicted... I read that they were less than 10 feet away from each other when the shooting started and stopped.

Gunfight at OK Corral sure sounds better than those alternatives :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
MiddleMarch road is a very popular spot for snow bird RV’ers ... it’s gotten to the point where it’s too crowded back there from October to April... I usually camp at the base of the Dragoon’s in October... but my favorite camp spot at the base of the huge granite boulders is often occupied.... I cant blame them.. it’s beautiful back there..

The air is so fresh and clean back there that it hurts to breath LOL

·
Registered
87 Posts
It would be interesting to know how long it took Colts to make that pistol and how long it took Leslie to get it... Traveling from Hartford to Tombstone .

Just like Billy, Frank and Tom’s pistols..I don’t believe that gun is in anyone’s collection either.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts