Colt Forum banner
61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
I live in Tombstone for part of the year .. it’s a very interesting and charming place if you like old west history... I can tell you that a lot of locals there don’t care for the Earps and the legacy of controversy that the gunfight created lives on to this day.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The buildings from left to right in the above painting ..If memory is working . El Papago cash store, Bauer’s meat store, Flys boarding house, Harwood house... I don’t think the participants of the gunfight were that spread out like the painting depicted... I read that they were less than 10 feet away from each other when the shooting started and stopped.

Gunfight at OK Corral sure sounds better than those alternatives :)

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Interesting that it took place next to photographer’s studio…yet no images exist.

Reactions: Wes Terner

·
Registered
580 Posts
The buildings from left to right in the above painting ..If memory is working . El Papago cash store, Bauer’s meat store, Flys boarding house, Harwood house... I don’t think the participants of the gunfight were that spread out like the painting depicted... I read that they were less than 10 feet away from each other when the shooting started and stopped.

Gunfight at OK Corral sure sounds better than those alternatives :)
Building Land lot Tree Black-and-white Style

This photo was taken from Fremont Street, and features the vacant lot located between the little house formerly owned by William A. Harwood (still present on the right,) and the former location of the Boarding House operated by Mollie Fly. (In back of which was located Camillius Fly’s Photographic Studio.) By the time this photo had been taken (sometime in the 1940’s,) Harwood’s House was decrepit, and Fly’s Boarding House and Photographic Studio, was long gone.

·
Registered
580 Posts
The only thing left of Bauer’s meat market store now is the outline of it on the concrete block stucco wall where the police park their cars. :(
Interesting to know, thanks.
Whatever happened to Bachmann's golf course and housing addition? I've been an outlaw & lawman history buff for a long, long time (and with a small connection to Wyatt), enough so that we were married at the Justice of the Peace next door to Fly's (well, what they call Fly's now). We fell in love with the area and bought a 40 acre piece about a mile due west of Sheepshead off of Middlemarch RD., we had planned on building a cabin, there was NOTHING out there but the Hummel's (local family that's been there forever) and the late Dave Chapman . Looking at the current maps, we wouldn't recognize the area now and Dave seems to have had his road named after him. We lived in a 24ft camper in '99/2000 time frame, but the illegal's were terrible even back then, the Boarder Patrol had but up a small check station on 80 just a few miles from Middlemarch and that caused them to cut through "power line road" sooner. We sold the place in the early 2000s.
Cloud Sky Mountain Truck Vehicle

Cloud Sky Wheel Tire Vehicle

after we cut a better drive and built a shed.
Sky Cloud Car Vehicle Plant

·
Registered
87 Posts
MiddleMarch road is a very popular spot for snow bird RV’ers ... it’s gotten to the point where it’s too crowded back there from October to April... I usually camp at the base of the Dragoon’s in October... but my favorite camp spot at the base of the huge granite boulders is often occupied.... I cant blame them.. it’s beautiful back there..

The air is so fresh and clean back there that it hurts to breath LOL

·
Registered
580 Posts
I believe Buckskin Frank Leslie ordered a 12-inch Colt on January 14, 1881.

He supposedly wrote the following;
On January 14, 1881, Leslie sent a letter to the Colt firearms company.

Gentlemen I want a pistol as follows. Colts Frontier Model to take Winchester Cartridges 44 Cal., the revolver to have a twelve (12) inch barrel, browned, superior finished throughout with carved ivory handle, also send scabbard or belt with everything complete for carrying & cleaning the Pistol answer soon as convenient, stating price and when I can have Pistol by Wells Fargo & Cos. and oblige.

·
Registered
87 Posts
It would be interesting to know how long it took Colts to make that pistol and how long it took Leslie to get it... Traveling from Hartford to Tombstone .

Just like Billy, Frank and Tom’s pistols..I don’t believe that gun is in anyone’s collection either.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
I believe Buckskin Frank Leslie ordered a 12-inch Colt on January 14, 1881.

He supposedly wrote the following;
My Colt Buntline posted earlier has a 12” barrel with a Colt address and an 1882 serial number, but this doesn’t make it Frank Leslie’s gun. The letter reads like a fake and I would want to see either something from Colt or the letter itself.

Reactions: OD* and Wes Terner

·
Registered
580 Posts
My Colt Buntline posted earlier has a 12” barrel with a Colt address and an 1882 serial number, but this doesn’t make it Frank Leslie’s gun. The letter reads like a fake and I would want to see either something from Colt or the letter itself.
That's why I wrote "supposedly." ;)

61 - 79 of 79 Posts