Colt Forum banner

What did you shoot today?

92K views 2K replies 161 participants last post by  Swamp Yankee 
#1 ·
Had a pity party today in anticipation of the snow and cold that we are predicted to get this weekend in central NY. I know, get over it, its winter!! Now I can clean some guns this weekend when I get done with clearing out driveways, barn etc.

Gun Rifle Firearm Air gun Recreation

Stevens Model 35 22lr
Colt 1909 Army 45 colt
Winchester 1905 35WSL

Have a great weekend. Mark

See less See more
#328 ·
Friend went with me last Wednesday to sight in some guns we purchased yet had not got around to shooting.

I had a new Leupold scope on my takedown Ruger and I was really happy with it. I also took my BHP and my Colt DS as both are a real pleasure to shoot.

Friend brought an old Mossberg 22lr bolt action with US property marks and peep sights. A Sig 225 9mm, Model 19 Smith and an AR.

Of the guns we shot I believe the Mossberg was the best gun out there for accuracy. 25 yards and he grouped 5 shots under a quarter. At 76 years old he is still a very good shot.

Jim

#330 ·
Another range trip with...surprise....another couple of .22's.
Both 2nd Series Colt Challengers. These no frills pistols are very nice to shoot and surprisingly accurate for a fixed sight platform. My only complaint is the plastic grips that move slightly (shrink and warp). My POA was 6'oclock. I can see why these were popular.
4 1/2" Challenger (1952) (the flyer at the top in the 6 ring was called):
Shooting sport Recreation Shooting Precision sports

6" (1955)

Electronics Shooting sport Recreation Precision sports Circle

#333 ·
Just got home from a trip to the range! I took two target guns, an FN150 (same as a Browning Medalist International) and a Ruger 22/45 MkIV with custom grips, red dot sight and muzzle brake/flash hider. Both did their part knocking down lots of steel plates! Of all my 22s, the FN150 is probably the one I shoot the best. It has one of the best "out of the box" triggers I have ever experienced!

#335 ·
Olympic Arms M4 in .45ACP. This is fifty rounds fired offhand through this target at 25 yards...Federal .45 ACP+P. As my eyes have aged I've really come to enjoy a red dot sight.

#341 ·
Thanks. It's not built to the fit and finish of a Colt but it's super accurate and recoil is negligible. Some of the furniture it originally came with was kind of cheap so I replaced it all with better stuff. The worst is the magazines are proprietary...have to get them from Olympic Arms. But the performance is and always has been there.

Reactions: Maxcustody
#344 ·
Ruger 22-45 today .
I found a Burris red dot today in the gun room and stuck it on the Ruger. 20 years ago I put a Volquartsten trigger kit in this gun. Breaks clean at 2 lbs. Offhand was a 95x3. The first shot was the 8 at 9. Ha!

Zero and grouping at 20 yds shows it can hold the X ring easily at 20 yds with match ammo or regular fodder.
Vic

#346 · (Edited)
Well finally got to shoot today. Loaded up and went to the range..................Shot a bunch of 38 wadcutters thru the Python and KC. Below is the only target I took a pic of. 7 yards with the Python and KC first shots with them, I will get used to them in time. I was shooting steel plus the target. The Carbine shot well with open sights, a little low but group was good at 25 yards. I have some different optics, so not sure which way I am going to go. We really enjoyed the 1911/ 22 nice gun. Overall a good day for shooting

Python, King Cobra, S&W 38 airweight, my 2 carry guns Glock 43 and 19. Le6920 carbine, 1911 22 cal. and HK VP9SK

#354 ·
Don't know what happened here, didn't mean to quote Maxcustody. Been away for a while and not used to the new format. Was going to post that I took my Winchester 94 to the range today. I wanted to try the Winchester deer season XP polymer tip rounds. Found they grouped as good as or slightly better than the power points I'm sighted in with, but they print about 4 1/2 inches higher at 50 yards, and 6 at 100. I have several boxes of power points on hand, so think I'll use them up before making any changes.
Grass Tree Wildlife Zoo Landscape

#357 ·
A couple of more .22's. Some 3rd Series Woodsman pistols. These are in tribute to Scott's (Maxcustody) first 3rd Series Woodsman purchase-a very nice and rare 6" "Double S" Huntsman!.
Here's my 4 1/2" Huntsman (1957). I really don't shoot fixed sight pistols very often and I don't remember the last time I had these to the range. I put a hundred rounds through each pistol with these targets showing the best group. This one was shooting to the right and a bit high at 20 yards, so I adjusted my point of aim to 7 o'clock

Shooting sport Recreation Precision sports Ammunition Shooting

Here's my 6" Huntsman (1973). The sights on this one was pretty much dead on at 20 yards.

Shooting sport Recreation Shooting Precision sports Ammunition

Last up is my Targetsman (1959). I sight my adjustable sight pistols in for a 6 o'clock hold. I need to go a couple of clicks up for elevation, but this one shot very well. The rear sight blade sure is tiny.

Shooting sport Recreation Shooting Precision sports