Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Colt Model 1917. My uncle had one that I shot a bunch back in the early 60's. A friend of a friend had it for sale and I bought it. On the butt by the swivel is the serial number-396XX. Inside the frame is an H above 190440 above a K. The yoke has several numbers on it:271423 over 2288. I do not have any reference books for this model pistol. ANY information would be appreciated. And do you know who may sell some original grips? He sold me an old S & W .44 Special also, but since this is a Colt board I won't ask any questions about it. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Welcome to the board and good question. I don't have your answer but there's about 5 experts that can answer your question. I hope to hear more from you. Keep buying those Colts. I'm sure someday you'll have answers to our questions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the Welcome Aboard. New guns are nice, but there is just something about those old guns. I wish they could tell their story.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Welcome aboard too. Your New Service 1917,sounds like it has been reworked at a Govt. Arsenal. Is there an "A A" marking above the trigger guard ??

The frame number,in the crane recess,190440,is the actual serial # of the gun assigned by Colt. The one on the crane,which is 271423,is from a much later gun,but this mismatching was common at Govt. arsenals.

The "H" is for Frances Hosmer,the Govt. inspector at the Colt factory when your gun was made,the 4 digit number is part of the rework. And maybe the other letter,is that arsenal rework inspector?

Colt 1917 factory serials ran from around 149k to over 300k,as the 1917s were made on the fine New Service frame,which had been around since 1898,so were numbered in that models serial number range. The butt number is a different"service #", and is an Army marking(S&W 1917s were serialed in their own serial range,starting at 1,so their service number on the butt and the factory serial # is the same.)

You have not said what type of finish your 1917 has,and there will be additional markings,such as the "AA" maybe?

As far as grips,originals are pricey in good shape(there is a beat up pair on eBay I think now) but you might try www. gungrip.com,as they make reproductions out of something called "Royalwood".

Good luck.

Bud

·
Registered
72 Posts
Re: What do all the numbers mean on a Colt US 1917

To add to lonewolf's excellent information:

Records of shipping quantities would suggest that an early M1917 Colt Service Number 39xxx would be early 1918, perhaps February.

There is a good deal of information on this arm in Charles Pate's excellent book U.S. Handguns of WWII: The Secondary Pistols and Revolvers.

The ordnance acceptance stamp in this range should be JMG, with G encircling the JM, on the upper left of the frame. This was John M Gibert (yes, Gibert, not Gilbert).

"Colt .45 DA" should appear on the left of the barrel, Colt patents on the top, and on its underside should be a property stamp.

I own U.S. M1917 Colt Service Number 124605, pictured on page 79 of Col. Pate's book. It was shipped October, 1918.
Any photos of your revolver?

JT

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: What do all the numbers mean on a Colt US 1917

Just the information that I was looking for. Thanks!!! Yes, there is an "AA" just as indicated. And, yes, the "JMG" is as indicated. Other markings as indicated. No photos yet-just bought it Monday. Thanks-really! I will try to get some pictures this weekend. Since the storm (Katrina) my mom and mother-in-law have moved in with my wife and me until their retirement home gets repaired, so my own time is really in short supply.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts