Colt Forum banner
  • Have you found any great Black Friday deal!? Share them in this post HERE for a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think of COLT 38 Super /can also use 9mm ammo? Is the COLT 38 Super consider one of the good or best pistol?

Is the Overall Qualities of the Colt 38 Super as good as .45 Series 70 or 80s?

Pls. tell how do you like this 38 Super Colt?
And pls. explain Why?

When was the 38 Super first established / made?

Do u recommend this 38 Super? Thank you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I presume by 9mm ammo, you refer to the 9 x 19 mm Parabellum or Luger cartridge. If so, then no, the Super .38 is a different cartridge. It uses the same .355 to .356 inch diameter bullet. The old standard load ws a 130 gr. full metal jacket round nose bullet at about 1200 feet per second from a five-inch barrel.

I believe the Super .38 was introduced around 1927 as an alternative chambering of the Government Model pistol. It held nine rounds in the magazine, while the .45 ACP held seven. I do not know if the new magazine follower design, which makes eight round .45 mags possible has been adapted to the .38. This seems logical, but I haven't seen any. I have not owned a Super in many years.

Until recent years, the Super was plagued by inaccuracy problems due to the original design. It was introduced as a semi-rimmed cartridge and variations in rim thickness in ammo made true accuracy a sometimes thing, without careful handloading and rim guages. In the last 20 years or so, Colt has been making their barrels up so that the cartridge headspaces on the case mouth. this, and somewhat more uniform cartridge dimensions, make for a much more accurate cartridge/pistol combination.

I note your location given as Thailand, so I'm sorry I cannot provide metric equivalents to the English measurements in this reply.

As to "good" or "best," these are pretty subjective. For sheer anti-personnel use, with the original loadings, I prefer the .45 ACP - - A much broader, far heavier bullet, though moving more slowly. Also, the development of expanding bullets and new powders have reduced the difference between the Super .38 and the 9x19 cartridges. The 9x19 is far more popular worldwide, of course. The .45 ACP is also widespread, certainly, mainly due to distribution of United States military sidearms during several wars. As far as I know, the Super .38 has never been a military round, though there is some limited interchangability possible, in certain weapons, with the 9mm Largo and 9 mm Mauser.

You ask: "Is the Overall Qualities of the Colt 38 Super as good as .45 Series 70 or 80s?" Certainly, for a given date of production, the quality of the Colt Govt Model or Commander should be equal in whatever chambering. My personal viewpoint has to do with availability of ammunition, and the .38 Super is not nearly as common as .45 ACP or 9x19, even in the USA. It did have a certain popularity in Mexico for many years, because the .45 ACP was a military cartridge and not legal for civilian use. The identical pistol, though, was available in Super, and later, in 9mm.

Please forgive the lengthy reply.

Best regards,
Johnny

1 - 2 of 2 Posts