Colt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any opinions on the Colt Custom 38 Super Bright Stainless gun? Not sure of the model number, but it has walnut grips. $1330 plus tax probably gets me otd for $1400.00. Is it a fancy shooter or a safe queen? Is there any Custom Shop work done to it or is it a polished production floor gun with fancy (Colt Custom) roll marks? And it is a series 80 correct? Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
While I applaud the willingness of Kid Sopris to carry his own; I could not. One would be like the pheasant under glass I could never eat. It looks so good and the appearance would change as soon as it was sliced. In other words: it is just my view regarding high polished stainless versus other finishes.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
It is not a Custom Shop production. I have one and if you like it the price is not bad. When I got mine a few years back I think I paid about 1100 dollars. There is really nothing Custom about it other than it is factory polished and it has a custom stamping on the slide and maybe the ELCEN serial number format. Here are pictures of the gun sporting a couple of different custom grips by Dan Chinnock.

·
Registered
327 Posts
They are truly beautiful pistols and chambered in one of my favorite calibers.

The two reasons that I do not own one are that the market price is beyond what I feel is appropriate for simply a highly polished stainless steel and Colt limits their production.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I would buy a base model 38 super and send it off to Patriot Polishing, a sponsor vendor, and you will have one just as nice and probably for a couple hundred less once once it is all said and done. And yes it is a series 80. Here is my Delta that was ugly brushed stainless that Patriot did a really nice job on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
MAM, I love the stocks on this. The Delta is awesome too. Thank you for the photos.
I get carried away sometimes with pictures, but I am a visually oriented old man. It is nice to read the narratives but I sure do like accompanying pictures. I am not sure where I got my stocks from but I think they were from a local guy here in Texas and I had him install the Delta medallions that I took off of those ugly wrap around rubber grips.......I do like the off caliber guns.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Most anything looks good in BSTS. 38 Super is a good caliber , and looks best in nickel or BSTS with ivory or pearl stocks...

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
The carry Super and the back up Super in blue. I think I got more bang for the buck taking this fork in the road. No additional polishing fees.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I believe I would shoot that one a lot!

·
Premium Member
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I picked this gun up on Friday and cleaned it yesterday. Did not appear to have been shot by the factory, no residue, etc... perhaps before polishing? Anyway, there are some stray scratches, pre- polish and just regular handling, on it that could have been buffed a little better at the factory. The question is, can flitz or mothers take them out to the level that matches the rest of the gun, or being that I can just drop it off at Colt, should I have them do it to make it superb? My gun is fit well and has an excellent trigger, very pleased!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts