Colt Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys run for ammo in your woodsman. This is my first 22 so I never bought any before. I bought thunderbolt assuming it was good but finding a lot of people online say it’s junk and dirty

· Registered
13,219 Posts
Primarily CCI standard velocity. Remington Golden bullets are good. Thunderbolts are dirty but cheap and available usually. Federal and Winchester have their bargain basement lines as well.

Due to several panic buying sprees within the last five years or more I’ve seen lots of reports of misfires with rimfire from most all brands so maybe QC slipped during those periods in a rush to get product out.

· Premium Member
7,061 Posts
Any gun but especially semi autos, it’s best to simply see which ammo works well for you and your individual gun. I think currently I own 4 variations of the woodsman and they pretty much fire and cycle anything I put through them. It’s been probably close to 20 years since Rem. made some poor quality thunderbolt ammo. If I remember some of that stuff had issues in most any gun I shot it through. My woodsman’s would let me know when it was time to at least clean the breach face of the barrel and that was when it was caked up from firing residue and mis fires started to occur.

· Registered
7,111 Posts
Anymore, I'll shoot almost anything I can get my hands on at a semi reasonable price.
I have shot Remington, CCI, Federal Bulk Pack, Aguila...

Several years ago (10?), #2 Son did his Senior year Science Fair project on the precision of commonly available non-target grade .22LR ammo. He used my Leupold-scoped, Shilen match barreled, custom stocked Ruger 1022 from a solid benchrest. We bought one 50-round box of everything we could find at Walmart, gun stores and gun shows and ended up with 18 different 50-round boxes to test. All of the protocols he followed are way too long to detailed but he fired +/- 900 rounds in 5-round strings at 50 yards on NRA standard pistol targets. The velocity of each shot over an Ohler Chronograph was recorded, each shot was numbered on the target and each target was statistically analyzed. His results showed that the old Federal Bulk Pack ammo came out on top with Aguila yellow-box a close second.
His project qualified for State competition where he finished 3rd in the Physics category.

· Registered
331 Posts
My 3rd Series Target works fine with just about anything but Thundercrapbolts. The one time I used it I got leading in the barrel and even on the feed ramp. Same ammo also did the so with my K22, Single Six and Colt Target Model. Fifty rounds and it was keyhole city. Good luck if you use it.

KNO3

1 - 17 of 17 Posts