Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am from across the pond - and with this new "internet" thing it is obvious to everyone that globalization has not reached the gun trade. Prices and availability greatly differs depending on location. Colts are expensive here. Even bad ones. Same goes with Winchesters and most other "cowboy" guns, which tend to be lower quality at a higher price than in USA.

But people collect more than just that. Around here (Denmark) strict legislation, paperwork, licenses, bureaucracy etc keep the prices down and it is amazing what you can pick up for very little money in terms of good quality, anitique, AND shootable firearms of every sort.

So if you cant get that Colt SAA or Winchester you always dreamed about - do you get somting else instead to keep you occupied while you wait for that sweet sweet Custer-Colt ;) ?

Just to illustrate my point, heres a Danish M1889 Kragh-Jorgensen - fully functional. Sold today on an online auction - for approx $200.
Gev89.jpg

Another example - A Tower of London flintlock, - converted to percussion, and also functional - sold today for $150.
Tower.jpg

And the list goes on and on. When I started shooting 25yrs ago you could get an excellent Danish Remington Rolling Block with shiny bore and sharp rifling for $8-900 - which was cheaper than a new replica. Today you can get one of those old workhorses for almost half that!!!

These are good times for gun collecting. Unless you want what the Americans want! (Just kidding :p)

Carsten

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
Old pocket watches....mainly Elgin since I grew up in Illinois and that's where the company originated. A few other species but Elgin always holds a special place in my heart.

My dad was a member of the Masonic Society or some call it the Freemasons so I scored this 1910 Father Time 21 jewel with the 32nd degree symbol on the case. Keeps excellent time :)

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Staying with gun collecting rather than other stuff I've collected, it's been a changing scene. 1930s as a kid anything resembling a gun I wanted, got a lot of cheapies & let them go. 1940s, WW2, France 1947, Austria '48 & Germany '49 I collected whatever I could. Pix below taken 1951, my gun booty cost from $1.50 to $30 for wheel locks & cased pairs. The U.S. guns, my Dad's.

1950s married, family, mortgage, into DIY making Kentucky rifles, how-to book eventually selling 50K copies. Next 50 years restoration of early guns, 1500s to percs, my books, videos, DVDs. 2000s evolved into Colt & S&W DAs 1880s-WWI & Colt pre1911 autos, re-creating several 1902s & 1905s from collected parts.

Now & then a DIY binge took me into making pieces I always wanted but couldn't find, afford or didn't exist, my revolving shotgun for example -

My DIY urge recent years, Colt New Service beaters become personalized snubs. One of several --

This my gun life in brief while simulating work for Pan Am airline starting out cleaning parts, mechanic, traveling inspector & executive ---

edit --- In the other-stuff department, I had 12-15 pairs ivory pistol grips made in Africa & collected quite a few ivory carvings, now in the hands of my heirs. I also collected early padlocks as I traveled, some intrigueing examples all sold with my collection of handcuffs in 1980 to buy my motorcycle. Coins & paper money? I could write a few paragraphs. So. Africa pawn shop had a dishpan full of coins collected from a seaport bar that dated back couple hundred years, I gathered couple dozen US coins mid 1800s, one twenty cent piece almost UNC, all for 0.15 ea. Middle East, huge number of coins dating back into Roman times & before. Silver ones of some value. Big U.S. dollar bills said brought out of Russia, $109 for $160 one valued at $60 then (1960s). I still have most of my collector-money, what I didn't sell back then.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Slide rules, planimeters, early engineering and surveying tools, pre-war Hi Standards, WWII pistols, S&W N-frames, and Colt New Services.

Buck

·
Registered
809 Posts
I also collect glass telegraph insulators which date from the 1870's to 1910. Some of these were found on lines that ran between the Military Forts during the Indian wars here in Arizona.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,937 Posts
I collect American Militaria (theater-made, Airborne/SF, combat knives, AAF, WWI, etc) , Sporting Collectibles, Old West, Watch Fobs, Books, Elastolin, Britains, Dinky, Cap Guns, and the list goes on...

Never got involved in collecting foreign militaria, unless I brought it home myself - but I took it upon myself to learn about it, because I always ran across it.

You guys have some nice things - congratulations!

I know how hard it is to find good 'stuff', and seeing other guys' collections is always interesting to me.

Very nice plate, by the way - I've got a Confederate Drummer's sling plate, myself - the type holding the pair of sticks.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
It has been rumored that I might have a slight interest in Post War (1945-1955) Lionel Trains and Accessories!

I remember my first Lionel set....wasn't but 3 cars. the engine and caboose. Had the pellets to make smoke as I recall. Was bare bones setup but it sure was neat. My grandpa got more of a kick outta setting it up and getting the tracks "just so". Sadly it went the way of many children's stuff.

1 - 20 of 142 Posts