Colt Forum banner
  • Have you found any great Black Friday deal!? Share them in this post HERE for a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
It appears to be an Army Special manufactured in 1909, with replacement stocks (grips).

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
State Laws dictate (I Originally posted too broad a statement on FFL transfer requirement) In my state, you and the seller would have gone to a FFL (Federal Firearms License) dealer and the required background check (by law) would have to be done on you before you are legally allowed to take possession of that Pistol.

Reactions: sublimert70

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Unless there is a State law requiring it, transfers between two people in the same State do not require a FFL involvement in the transfer. Registration depends on your State’s laws.
Can’t speak for other states regarding private sales but a background search is required in Michigan either as a purchase permit or having a concealed permit. A FFL is not relevant.

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
Ok what about the registering part? I was told it might be old enough where dosnt have to be registered
Generally speaking it has to be an antique, Mfg. prior to 1898.

The ATF Definition What is an "Antique Firearm"? The ATF Definition A. Any firearm (including any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured in or before 1898; and B. Any replica of any firearm described in subparagraph (A) if such replica

Reactions: Rogerwnuss

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
Yes, State rules govern. In PA, unless you give it to a parent, GrandParent, Child or Grandchild, who is otherwise legally allowed to posses the pistol, then it would have to run through a licensed dealer to complete the transfer. There is no registration but they get around that because the State Police keep records of all pistol transactions.

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
At the risk of being rude, there are several things about OP's comments that bother me:

1. He claims to have just purchased this, but doesn't know anything about ti.
2. He is only concerned about how much it's worth.
3. He wants to sell it, but only online.
4. He seems overly concerned with not registering it or doing any legal paperwork.
5. He won't tell anyone where he's from.
5. His grammer is positively horrid.

All this leads me to to believe he's very young, possibly acquired this gun in a less-than-legal way, and looking to dump it quickly for whatever he can get.

I know that I could be incorrect in all my assumptions, and I do apologize if that is the case.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Heh. We have an FFL down the road that does transfers and background checks for $25. I figure I both meet state law and am absolved from trouble if a buyer gets the gun stolen or does something wicked. I have only sold one gun, a Lee Enfield, to a private party and had it shipped to their FFL.

As the saying goes, cheapskates often pay the most. $25 is a good deal for peace of mind. Just saw my range refuse to sell a nice S&W snub with lovely blueing to some dude who had issues with his paperwork, and thank God for that.

I will not speculate on the OP, and we all have pet peeves (“u” and the word “super“ super irritate this old fart ;) ) but the gun looks like a nice shooter. I am new to Colt double actions but the revolver has the same lines I like in my S&W 64.

if the OP is worried it might have been stolen or used in a crime, check with local and state police.

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
We have an FFL down the road that does transfers and background checks for $25. I figure I both meet state law and am absolved from trouble if a buyer gets the gun stolen or does something wicked. I have only sold one gun, a Lee Enfield, to a private party and had it shipped to their FFL.
Here a background check is $10.50, and a third party transfer is $45, for a total of $55.50. It's a small price to pay for peace of mind.

As the saying goes, you only have one chance to make a first impression, and the OP didn't make a good one with me. As I mentioned, I could be 100% wrong with my speculation, and if so, then I am truly sorry.

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
At the risk of being rude, there are several things about OP's comments that bother me:

1. He claims to have just purchased this, but doesn't know anything about ti.
2. He is only concerned about how much it's worth.
3. He wants to sell it, but only online.
4. He seems overly concerned with not registering it or doing any legal paperwork.
5. He won't tell anyone where he's from.
5. His grammer is positively horrid.

All this leads me to to believe he's very young, possibly acquired this gun in a less-than-legal way, and looking to dump it quickly for whatever he can get.

I know that I could be incorrect in all my assumptions, and I do apologize if that is the case.

I completely agree with you. I'll go one better. This poster could even be trolling to see if he can get "advice" on how to circumvent or break the law concerning firearms transfers. Something seems fishy.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.