Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I am going to turn this into a project gun but first I need to know what kind of finish this Series 70 has so that I can then know how to remove it. The feel is as smooth as any nickel plating but it does not shine like nickel and it is not the feel of the e-nickel that Colt used for awhile.

thanx

flanman

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
Could be Metaloy (a type of hard chroming).
I can never be sure from pictures, and frankly, not always by an actual examination.

HTH,
Mike

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
Thanx Mike. Any idea how to remove that finish?flanman
I'm clueless!!! :bang_wall:
Seriously, no.
Plus, we haven't established just what that finish is.
All I know is I get sick every time I see that trigger guard. I'm glad you are going to be working on this gun!

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Trigger is a little far forward, isn't it?

I like the finish though, whatever it is!

It might be a matte Nickel finish.

Looks just like old Nickel which has gone 'white' and 'flat ( no longer Mirror-Polish ) from perspiration.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,890 Posts
Again, no one can tell from photos, and often not even on a personal look.
About the only choices are hard chrome or a nickel process. If nickel, it would have the typical yellowish tint that nickel has.
The pictures don't show that, so just compare the frame to something you know is stainless steel. If it's nickel you'll be able to see the yellow tint much better when compared to a stainless kitchen utensil.
If you don't see a yellow tint, hard chrome is a slight "blue" tint and stainless is "white".

With that said, I suspect it's hard chrome. Some of the hard chrome gun finishers give their chrome a brand name like SS Metalife, Armoloy, and Metaloy, but it's all hard chrome.

The only way I know to remove it is to have a plater DE-plate it.
They first identify what the finish is, then basically reverse the plating process. Instead of depositing the plating on the gun, it removes it.
Most all hard chrome gun plater services offer stripping services.
The chemical methods of stripping nickel won't work on hard chrome so having a gun finisher service like APW/Cogan or Ford's is the only way to get it off.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all. I have a number of nickel guns and this is nothing like those so I suspect you are all correct with the chrome or similar alloy. I will have it deplated then I will remove that trigger guard once and for all...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.