Colt Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
15,890 Posts
No way to tell from photos.
It could be electroless nickel or hard chrome.
Nickel usually has a slight yellowish tint, hard chrome has a "blue" tint. You can often ID which by comparing it to a item known to be made of stainless steel, which has a "white" tint. A kitchen knife or spoon will do for a comparison.

The stamps on the butt are standard Colt inspection stamps. The "INS" stamp is a common Colt stamp from the 60's and 70's.
It does not stand for Immigration and Naturalization Service as is often thought.

The hammer appears to have been modified, possibly for carry to help prevent snagging in clothing.
Colt used the Pachmayr "Compac" grip as an option or as standard on later "D" frames, with gold Colt medallions. The Compac is still one of the best "D" frame grips ever made and is a preferred classic for a good many "D" frame users.
They don't look all that great, but they offer a great grip and help reduce felt recoil.

Nice gun.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks df. I didn't think they stood for INS, I just didn't know if they had a significant meaning inside the Colt World. I believe the hammer to have been modified as well, it seems much shorter. It seems to have had some sort of action job as well as it is much smoother than my other two 2 backs. While I do not believe the finish to be original it appears to be very well done. The markings are still pretty darn crisp. The finish does appear to have some yellow at angles. Probably done by the same people who put the insert in the front sight. it appears someone spent some pretty good coin on this thing at one time to make it a nice carry gun, now I get to gain from the fruits of their labor. Thanks again for the input.

No way to tell from photos.
It could be electroless nickel or hard chrome.
Nickel usually has a slight yellowish tint, hard chrome has a "blue" tint. You can often ID which by comparing it to a item known to be made of stainless steel, which has a "white" tint. A kitchen knife or spoon will do for a comparison.

The stamps on the butt are standard Colt inspection stamps. The "INS" stamp is a common Colt stamp from the 60's and 70's.
It does not stand for Immigration and Naturalization Service as is often thought.

The hammer appears to have been modified, possibly for carry to help prevent snagging in clothing.
Colt used the Pachmayr "Compac" grip as an option or as standard on later "D" frames, with gold Colt medallions. The Compac is still one of the best "D" frame grips ever made and is a preferred classic for a good many "D" frame users.
They don't look all that great, but they offer a great grip and help reduce felt recoil.

Nice gun.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts