Colt Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
What dfaris said. I was taught to always wipe down a blued gun if you handled it. If it's sitting in a safe, not touching anything porous, there is no need to reapply (read my 6 years in the safe with CLP on them example). My 35 year old guns still look like the day I bought them.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Thank you for the informative and comprehensive reply, Judge. Since most people around here don't talk about it, I never really realized the importance of a quick wipe down before carrying and anytime you handle a blued firearm! I will definitely keep that in mind, as I want to protect my blued finish as much as possible.

Since you should give it a quick wipe-down daily, and you personally would apply some before holstering, what effect does this have on the holster itself? It make sense that the holster would rub off some of the oil, and not all surface areas are a point of contact, but for a leather holster, over time I would imagine it would absorb and collect some of this oil rubbing off onto it. Does this help protect your revolver any, considering the holster might hold some of the protectant oil? Is it bad for the holster, or would you need to clean it out after 'x' amount of time due to build-up/dirtiness?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Some time ago I tried the waxing thing,,,,never again!,,,,just too much effort and mess....I use Ballistol on wood and Barricade on the metal.....My son uses CLP...neither of us has had any issues

·
Registered
596 Posts
Since you should give it a quick wipe-down daily, Does this help protect your revolver any, considering the holster might hold some of the protectant oil? Is it bad for the holster, or would you need to clean it out after 'x' amount of time due to build-up/dirtiness?
I've been carrying some sidearms for years in leather holsters some are lined some are not. I generally spray all of them on the inside with Barricade or anything in a synthetic oil and also wipe down every sidearm with oil before holstering and after when going back in the safe. The oil does not harm my holsters, but they are not soaked to the point of dripping oil out the bottom. Nor does this oiling prevent holster wear, this is going to happen to any duty gun over it's usage. Yes even my very expensive revolvers and pistols will see carry duty and show wear, though they will not show rust. Even on rainy or water exposures, I do not worry. Because proper oiling of outside and inside will do the job. Marines and Army spend a LOT of time in wet environments and have taught me many things about water and firearms. Even my leather holsters get wet, so a little oil on the inside helps. Back in the day, I've weathered Monsoons in foxholes, waded ashore on beaches from landing crafts, most anything you can think of involving water on weapons and gear. So a little oil does wonders. Remember... leather straps are used to sharpen steel, so it's going to remove bluing if a firearm is holstered over time.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,912 Posts
Leather will absorb gun oil.
I've seen Tan holsters where the bottom was a darker color from oil leaking out of the gun and being absorbed.
Over a LONG time, the oil may cause the leather to deteriorate, but that's going to be well after the holster's service life if over.

One trick to help prevent corrosion while the gun is carried in the holster is to spray silicon in it.
Bottom line is, if you put a pistol in any holster the finish is GOING to get worn, but it shouldn't rust if you properly care for it.
A quick wipe down with oil or a silicon cloth at the end of the day is all that's really needed.

I've seen many police guns that were carried daily in all sorts of bad weather that had the finish well worn on the high spots but the rest of it was in perfect condition, simply because the cop had to buy his own gun and wanted to keep it in good shape. and gave it proper DAILY care.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Ballistol
Hoppes Oil
CLP
Big fan of Shooters Choice FP-10... Kimber’s recommendation

No grease at all on pistols. Use recommended military grease on American military surplus (Springfield, Garand, Carbine). Waffenfett or Automaffeten moly grease for Swiss arms.

Wonder lubes like Slideglide and Froglube will get you a FTF on the range and killed in a firefight.

·
Registered
11 Posts
What do you guys find to be the best gun oil that doesn’t fade the vintage colt blue on some of the old pythons and such over the years. Would like to hear from people that have owned since the 70s or 80s and have consistently used similar oils over the years.
RIG Grease is by far the best for the blue and all firearms swords knives etc. I’ve been using rig for over 40 years you get a little jar of it at Brownell‘s or any other Gun Suppliers along with the lambs wool wipe pad and just put a couple dabs on the lambswool doesn’t have to be heavy and the metal will be protected from now to doomsday. Break free CLP And renaissance wax are also outstanding products

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've been carrying some sidearms for years in leather holsters some are lined some are not. I generally spray all of them on the inside with Barricade or anything in a synthetic oil and also wipe down every sidearm with oil before holstering and after when going back in the safe. The oil does not harm my holsters, but they are not soaked to the point of dripping oil out the bottom. Nor does this oiling prevent holster wear, this is going to happen to any duty gun over it's usage. Yes even my very expensive revolvers and pistols will see carry duty and show wear, though they will not show rust. Even on rainy or water exposures, I do not worry. Because proper oiling of outside and inside will do the job. Marines and Army spend a LOT of time in wet environments and have taught me many things about water and firearms. Even my leather holsters get wet, so a little oil on the inside helps. Back in the day, I've weathered Monsoons in foxholes, waded ashore on beaches from landing crafts, most anything you can think of involving water on weapons and gear. So a little oil does wonders. Remember... leather straps are used to sharpen steel, so it's going to remove bluing if a firearm is holstered over time.
Thank You for the info. All is good to know.

·
Registered
11 Posts
What do you guys find to be the best gun oil that doesn’t fade the vintage colt blue on some of the old pythons and such over the years. Would like to hear from people that have owned since the 70s or 80s and have consistently used similar oils over the years.
P
RIG Grease is by far the best for the blue and all firearms swords knives etc. I’ve been using rig for over 40 years you get a little jar of it at Brownell‘s or any other Gun Suppliers along with the lambs wool wipe pad and just put a couple dabs on the lambswool doesn’t have to be heavy and the metal will be protected from now to doomsday. Break free CLP And renaissance wax are also outstanding products
also another good thing about the rig rag pad you could fold and put it in a Ziploc and just take it out whenever you need it Once you put the grease in the pan it’s good for months so you don’t have to spray or spill oil on a cloth and to go through all that baloney

·
Registered
10,553 Posts
I sure haven't used near all the preservative oils available, so would be hard pressed to say one was by far the best. I have never had one yet to fade the blue on any vintage firearm, and some have been in my ownership for more than 50 years and had dozens of different oils used on them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I’ve been using WD-40 for almost fifty years and it works for me. Michigan is a pretty humid place a lot of the time especially when firearms come in from the cold.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I used RIG gun grease for many years and about 12 years ago I started using Steel Shield Weapon Shield Gun Oil. I have used this lubricant on all my Colt SAA revolvers for both color case hardened & blued and nickel plated finishes. It will positively protect both the bluing and especially the color case hardening and totally prevent any corrosion or fading of the color case hardening. It is also an excellent full-synthetic, boundary-film lubricant. You probably have your own favorite gun oil but not all are safe to use on color case hardened finishes. Hoppes No. 9 is an excellent cleaner but you do not want to leave it on a color case hardened finish for any length of time.

I have used Ballistol on many of my leather holsters as an excellent protector and preservative but have not used it for lubricating Colt SAA revolvers except when firing black powder rounds.

J.D. Press

·
Registered
11 Posts
I’ve been using WD-40 for almost fifty years and it works for me. Michigan is a pretty humid place a lot of the time especially when firearms come in from the cold.
Rig works excellent in Cold or hot humidity makes no difference also been using selling at antique flea market knives Antique Guns swords etc. with customers handling them with sweaty hands no problems at the end of the day I just wipe it down that’s that using for 40 years, WD-40 will protect no problem but with WD-40 it’s messy and smells horrible Not to mention that It can Easily penetrate and damage wood

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
Birchwood Casey BARRICADE; Formerly "SHEATH"
I've been using it for years now, I've tried some others but mostly Barricade.

I live in Florida in a mobile home. I wipe all of our guns down and oil the bores about twice a year with very little issues. On some of the older guns or ones that were actually used there might be some rust on the older ones or a few spot on the ones that were used. The guns are kept in safes.

I did buy and use CLP sometimes. I had to buy some when I bought an Uberti with the so-called charcoal blue and CLP was recommended.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I used RIG gun grease for many years and about 12 years ago I started using Steel Shield Weapon Shield Gun Oil. I have used this lubricant on all my Colt SAA revolvers for both color case hardened & blued and nickel plated finishes. It will positively protect both the bluing and especially the color case hardening and totally prevent any corrosion or fading of the color case hardening. It is also an excellent full-synthetic, boundary-film lubricant. You probably have your own favorite gun oil but not all are safe to use on color case hardened finishes. Hoppes No. 9 is an excellent cleaner but you do not want to leave it on a color case hardened finish for any length of time.

I have used Ballistol on many of my leather holsters as an excellent protector and preservative but have not used it for lubricating Colt SAA revolvers except when firing black powder rounds.

J.D. Press
I will remember this. Thank You!

·
Registered
10,553 Posts
I use High Mileage Mobil Synthetic Oil on my firearms since some of them have a lot of hard use and years on them. I like 10-40w but it doesn't seem to matter what weight of oil is used. I change the recoil filter every time and sometimes look at the cabin filter( who knew that was a thing?) when I get the full service treatment.
The new high performance pistols require 0W-20 due to tight tolerances.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts