Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that Colt rumors come and go frequently, but I remember reading in several places a few years ago that Colt was seriously considering the SAA in stainless. Anyone with insight on how that met a dead end?

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
when you cannot keep up with current demand I do not see much need to expand your line and add complications to your production numbers. That would be my guess anyway

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I have heard some guys cry blasphemy when the idea of a stainless SAA comes up. I have to admit, a Bright Stainless SAA would be a very attractive gun to me. It would never flake, be nice and purty, and would look great with some ivories.

·
Premium Member
9,740 Posts
The stainless Single Action Army was announced at a SHOT Show a few years ago. The hard chrome examples are as close to stainless as we have to date. I love stainless guns because the finish can be touched up with a ScotchBrite pad to hide wear and damage. I do not see where a different steel would complicate production that much, although I understand that stainless presents some machining challenges not present in carbon steel. In the fifty years since production stainless firearms appeared, I think those challenges have largely been resolved.

Colt often announces products that never get built (for example, Pythons in .22LR, .256 Winchester, etc.). This just appears to be the latest. Sad.

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
I think a stainless SAA would be a really good basis for engraving. Put a bright polish on it and it resembles new bright nickel. Or it can be finished to resemble antique nickel. Not quite as beautiful as nickel but nothing to peel and no plating expense.

·
Registered
367 Posts
when you cannot keep up with current demand I do not see much need to expand your line and add complications to your production numbers. That would be my guess anyway
So when your stuff no longer sells, that's the time to offer new products?

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Trends are easy to follow and sales hardly ever just fall off a cliff. A good business person is always working different angles in the background but picks the most effective/financially rewarding time to implement. If you have a team that is in the playoff's you don't change the star qb just because his contract is up the following year, you stick with what is proven until performance degrades. That does not mean the backup is not in the background warming up.
So when your stuff no longer sells, that's the time to offer new products?

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I agree that stainless steel is not an authentic finish for the SAA. However, it certainly resembles nickel so much that it does not look out of place as compared to say, a parkerized, Robar, or camouflage finish :)

After all, in my unofficial survey, I would say the most asked question on the Colt Forum is "I just bought a Python, how can I tell if it's stainless or nickel" :rolleyes:

So, do let me know when I can get a Stainless SAA 7 1/2" x 45. It will go well with my Stainless Colt Army and Navy revolvers.

John Gross

·
Premium Member
9,740 Posts
Surprised to see the rounded edges and "pulled" screw holes. I thought the "current" Single Action Army revolvers were supposed to nearly equal First Generations in quality. Apparently not.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Surprised to see the rounded edges and "pulled" screw holes. I thought the "current" Single Action Army revolvers were supposed to nearly equal First Generations in quality. Apparently not.
In general they are better, but have never equaled 1st gens (or USFA). They haven't been able to get the back strap 'ears' right w/o flattening them or flush with the hammer base, with few exceptions since the 2nd gens.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
I recently posted in another thread about blueing wear & whether to re-blue or not,I mentioned my favorite competition Colt that had been the 1st prize in the 1960 Calif. State Championship & that I'd worn a lot of the blueing off it,it's a 7 1/2" .44spcl,I had John Phillips build a custom stainless cyl. for it back around 1975 or '76 & it still looks like a new cyl.,it's really taken a beating over the years,when John made it Colts cyls. were rated [I think] @ 65,000 psi & John had my cyl. heat treated to 220,000 psi..It's a 2nd Gen. Colt but when John made it he made it like a 3rd gen. w/o the base pin bushing.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts