Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just inherited what looks like a Colt 1911. I have done some research and I have yet to find a description of this pistol. On the right hand side of the slide it says:

EJERCITO ARGENTINO.
COLT CAL. 45 MOD 1927

On the left side of the slide I have:

COLT'S PT.F.A. MFG. CO. HARTFORD, CT. U.S.A.
PAT'D APR.20, 1897 (etc - a bunch of dates ending in Aug 19, 1913

The serial number on the barrel and on the top of the slide reads No. 2944

Can anyone give me any information on this pistol? How much is it worth? Is it unique in any way?

Thanks!

·
Registered
217 Posts
http://www.coolgunsite.com/images/1911/mod1927 arg 45/1927 Colt 1911A1 Argentina Army.htm

In 1927 Colt manufactured 10,000 1911A1s for the Argentinean Army. This contract is unique in that it had its own serial number range starting at serial of: 1 to 10,000, and the pistols were marked in accordance with Argentine requirements. The only normal Colts markings are the standard left hand slide legend. These guns have the serial numbers in three places, the barrel, the slide and on the receiver frame under the main spring housing.
**Be careful as there are also 1911A1s that where actually manufactured in Argentina under license from Colt.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Sistema Colt

I picked one up Via C&R when they were 1st imported for $250. I've seen several for sale recently for +500.

Wish I had bought more than one back then.

Mine has had a lot of work done to it but I saved all the old parts and could put it back in original condition. All parts were fitted to the frame. Grip safety, Hammer, Sear, Trigger and Slide.

Nice shooters.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I picked one up Via C&R when they were 1st imported for $250.
His is not an Argentine licensed Colt built post-war. His is a Hartford produced pistol from the pre-WWII period exported to Argentina. The Hartford guns are more rare and valuable.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Oro is right. There should be a serial number on the back strap and not visible unless the main spring housing is removed. If so it's a Hartford colt and as well made as the transition pistols. /Ken

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I took it apart and sure enough the serial number is stamped on the backstrap underneath the main spring housing. So now at least I know it is a little more rare than average, and it is number 2,244 of 10,000.

Thanks everyone

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So does anybody know where I can find out how much it is worth? I cleaned it up a bit when I took it apart. Thanks again for the info everybody

-B

·
Registered
312 Posts
Condition determines prices on these. Average prices are around 750 to 850 I would guess. The pistols in this contract were all built from late 1927 to early 1928 I believe.

·
Registered
701 Posts
So does anybody know where I can find out how much it is worth? I cleaned it up a bit when I took it apart. Thanks again for the info everybody

-B

You pictures indicate a Parkerized finish. Your gun would have originally been blued. Refinishing hurts the value substancially.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts