Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been gone for about 5 months... Extremely bad run of luck with family issues, My grandmother was diagnosed with bladder cancer, and I spent all of my time with her I could until she passed about 5-6 weeks later. Then the 3 days after my grandmother was buried, my Mother just about died and was about a 2 month process getting her back home and doing better. During the same time, My uncle also had some very serious health issues which could have easily took him away. It was about a 3.5 month process getting him back home, but he is still bed fast at the moment. Had one cousin die whom had health issues for awhile. Then another very young cousin which I grew up around was killed in a car crash recently. Now my only brother is having some serious problems:bang_wall:. Anyway that is why I have been gone.
I still have to give glory to God for the many miracles he has bestowed upon me and my family, PRAISE JESUS!

Back on topic: I just went on GB and literally about FELL OUT OF MY CHAIR when I went through the completed NIB Python listings. What the heck is going on? I saw a gun I sold not that long ago (maybe the exact same gun, but cant say for sure, cant make out the entire SN#) for 4 bring almost 8 lol. Also I liquidated quite a few of my Pythons/Snakes last year due to being out of work-Looking Like a Big Mistake now:confused:... I know 5 months ago the prices were average, maybe slightly up, but no where close to what they are now. Usually Summer months are slow, but I dont know what to make of this. What's up lol? Did I miss something???

·
Premium Member
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Can you say Scotbilt?
I dont follow, I guess that one went over my head:eek:...

Edit: Going by hte previous post I didnt see, I guess its a guy on GB Im not familar with...

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
He'll run out of money sooner or later!

There is a new Python Tycoon in town with deep pockets to invest into Colts. I believe we are near the end of his Era as it has slowed quite a bit. If you wanted a Python the past several months, you had to go through him to get it. I believe his focus is down to Bright Stainless now and it seems the other stuff he passes on unless it is special, one of a few kind.

·
Premium Member
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
He'll run out of money sooner or later!

There is a new Python Tycoon in town with deep pockets to invest into Colts. I believe we are near the end of his Era as it has slowed quite a bit. If you wanted a Python the past several months, you had to go through him to get it. I believe his focus is down to Bright Stainless now and it seems the other stuff he passes on unless it is special, one of a few kind.
Maybe I need to meet this guy soon on GB lol. I got a lettered one (a one of one) I think he would drool over especially if he is into the Pacific International guns (and knows anything about Don Tedford)...:)

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I have had many conversations with him via Text Message and on the Phone and he hasn't shown much interest in the "Grail Guns". He says "I can't afford that" when I drop $15k on him and we both laugh because he was spending $20k a day on Pythons. If you would like me to put him in touch with you direct just say the word and I would be glad to try to make a deal for you.

·
Premium Member
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have had many conversations with him via Text Message and on the Phone and he hasn't shown much interest in the "Grail Guns". He says "I can't afford that" when I drop $15k on him and we both laugh because he was spending $20k a day on Pythons. If you would like me to put him in touch with you direct just say the word and I would be glad to try to make a deal for you.
I appreciate the offer and may get back with you, but I am undecided what I'm going to do with it yet. I picked it up awhile back but with everything going on I havent had a chance to post it here yet and let the forum members see it. I hope to do that first. I had to trade some nice NIB pieces plus cash for it. I'm undecided if I am going to consider selling it. Depends on how things work out with my brother mainly. Thanks Again!

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
Not just for Pythons, but I believe the gunbroker policy of not charging listing fees for guns that don't sell has exerted upwards pressure on prices.

1 - Seller A puts his gun out there for some high price to fish the market. Gun never sells and gets listed over and over again at no charge.
2 - Seller B sees the price that A put on his gun and lists for similar.
3 - Seller C sees the price that B put on his gun and lists for similar.
4 - Local gunstore expert sees all the prices listed on GB and prices his pieces similarly.

I'm not claiming that this is the only factor by any means, but I have been watching the market for awhile and think that overall prices have been pushed upwards by some extent due to scenario like above.

GB charging listing fees would have a significant impact on the current gun market IMO. They will never do it though because they want the clicks.

One man's theory.

·
Premium Member
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Not just for Pythons, but I believe the gunbroker policy of not charging listing fees for guns that don't sell has exerted upwards pressure on prices.

1 - Seller A puts his gun out there for some high price to fish the market. Gun never sells and gets listed over and over again at no charge.
4 - Local gunstore expert sees all the prices listed on GB and prices his pieces similarly.

I'm not claiming that this is the only factor by any means, but I have been watching the market for awhile and think that overall prices have been pushed upwards by some extent due to scenario like above.

GB charging listing fees would have a significant impact on the current gun market IMO. They will never do it though because they want the clicks.

One man's theory.
You are Correct that this plays a huge factor in my opinion. I see people come into the gun show with a $1200 gun tops (all different brands, not necessarily Colts in particular), and are asking 3500 for it. I usually dont say a word and thank them for letting me see it, but other people (who arent as nice as me lol) say where in the world did you get that crazy price? They say I saw one on GB for that. They dont understand its been on there for a year and may sell in about 10 more when inflation catches up. No disrespect intended to anyone, just saying what I have encountered many times... but when a gun starts routinely selling for "a hugely inflated price", thats a different story, thats what the gun is worth then...

Reactions: chillypepper66

·
Registered
3,189 Posts

One man's theory.

What determines and impacts the gun market is simply supply and demand. Its not the fact of what people are asking for their guns high or low. Nobody controls or influences the market by their asking prices, the market controls the market. Until a gun sells a asking prices should be considered fiction because, nothing has yet taken place. But once a gun sells at a certain price its then becomes fact. "Bona Fide Sales" are what's what. Its not what Joe ask for his gun or thinks his gun is worth, at the end of the day its what Joe actually sold his gun for. Sometimes Joe is not so happy. Everyone has a theory on the gun market, my theory on tracking the gun market is when the see the hundred dollar bills change hands that's when its time to sit up straight pay attention. That is where fiction becomes fact.

John

·
Premium Member
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
What determines and impacts the gun market is simply supply and demand. Its not the fact of what people are asking for their guns high or low. Nobody controls or influences the market by their asking prices, the market controls the market. Until a gun sells a asking prices should be considered fiction because, nothing has yet taken place. But once a gun sells at a certain price its then becomes fact. "Bona Fide Sales" are what's what. Its not what Joe ask for his gun or thinks his gun is worth, at the end of the day its what Joe actually sold his gun for. Sometimes Joe is not so happy. Everyone has a theory on the gun market, my theory on tracking the gun market is when the see the hundred dollar bills change hands that's when its time to sit up straight pay attention. That is where fiction becomes fact.

John
I also agree with this, but the point I was trying to make is its so hard to buy guns today because of the internet and impossible to find a bargain just about. I wouldnt mind it if people were pricing their stuff according to the actual selling price on GB, but the huge majority of people I see are pricing theirs by the highest asking price on GB. And they firmly believe this is what its worth. Used to be you would have people going by the Blue Book (of course I know you never did) when they didnt know the price and everything stayed about the same with very slight increases yearly. Some niches might see significant increases but they were very few. At the gunshows even a few years ago everybody was carrying a Blue Book, and every dealer had one, at least around here, that they actually bought and sold by. Now the Blue Book is about obsolete unless someone is trying to use it as a buying tool lol. Also I used to go to a gunshow and see all kinds of NIB vintage stuff which everyone was fairly close on price. IF you saw an average gun that was $200 dollars overpriced but nothing was ridiculous, and keep walking, now that same gun may be $2000 overpriced, accounting for inflation, because of the internet that is if you even see any NIB stuff because it either ends up in somebodys safe or on GB. Which you cant blame people for putting stuff on GB (I do too) because why walk around with a gun for 2 days that you cant sell for 1500 at the local gun show but will bring 2000 in the first listing on GB. I know things are entirely different for you, as far as finding stuff, being you have connections all over from the years of dealing in this stuff. I remember I was at the "Big Show", which is once a year, about 2 years ago. There was a guy there that had some pretty nice stuff, 98-99% stuff in the box, which I bought a couple pieces hoping to make a connection. I said do you ever get any NIB stuff. He said yes all the time because I run a shooting range, but I always sell them to GUESS WHO? :) He then stated this was the stuff that yall didnt want lol (and he had about 6 tables full of it). I thought you would get a kick out of that one.
I guess I just miss the "good ol days" which I got in on the tail end of...:(, but theres no going back now lol.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Gus, I am glad that you are posting again. I will keep you and your family in my prayers partner. As for the pythons I do not even look anymore. Peace.Blade

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I agree, its super hard to buy high condition guns today. The supply is low, the prices are high and the sellers are educated. Its tough to say the least. They cant update the Blue Book fast enough to keep up with real time prices. I can see prices and trends change monthly,, just as you did. You were gone for just a little while,, and things jumped 15-25%. If you pay too much for a gun this day and time, all you have to do is hold it a year and your back in the black.

J.F.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Darn you John! When I read your post I jumped out of my seat and started hoping around the shop on one foot playing Air Guitar singing AC/DC!

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
Happy to have you back Gus and continued prayers for you and the family.

Looking at the selling prices of the Pythons today is akin to getting kicked twixt the legs, it hurts, you feel like throwin up and then the headache begins from the residual pain. Yes, I like Pythons for the aesthetics, accuracy, engineering marvels they are but to see pricing north of $2500 for them with muzzle wear and dinged stocks just pains me all the more. I'm not a ANIB/LNIB or the pristine NIB Python buyer, I shoot and maintain the ones I have. Can't see paying the cost of my 1970 Dodge Charger, bought new, for something that'll sit in a safe but that's me and I know the Collectors mindset is completely polar from mine.

Would I sell my '66 and '78 at over double what I paid 2+ years ago? No..couldn't afford to scratch the itch again. I'm grateful for the Colts I've managed to accumulate but we're at the point that unless a screaming deal presents itself I'll just have some ivory stocks and custom leather made, buy ammo and cleaning supplies, maybe a few more reference books and be happy happy happy. The new builds that I purchased like the Gold Cup Trophy and LW Commander are really well done so I covered the bases for "modern" Colts that suit my tastes.

Happy you're back Big Guy :)

·
Registered
7,018 Posts
Its not what Joe ask for his gun or thinks his gun is worth, at the end of the day its what Joe actually sold his gun for. Sometimes Joe is not so happy.
IMO Joe is getting an artificial crutch by being allowed to list his guns endlessly for free on GB and hiding behind a high price or high reserve auction. Larry, Moe, and Curly see Joe's prices and take advantage of the same crutch. It dominos and the market is pressed upwards.

If Joe were paying $2-3 each time his gun was relisted he would modify his pricing strategy and not sit around fishing or 'waiting' on the market. The free listing service on GB allows many sellers to bypass normal market forces to some extent.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts