Colt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought a Colt Commando was a parkerized version of the blued Colt Official Police made during WW2 era.

BUT, this past weekend I saw a parkerized gun that said Colt Commando on it but looked like a Detective Special or Agent (same frame size and caliber) with an ejector rod shroud.

What's the story here?

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
a value priced d/s, made during the 80`s with rubber stocks and bead blast, park type finish. i dont think they sold too well.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,805 Posts
These were often known as "Commando Specials".

During the big Colt strike in the mid-80's. Colt didn't have enough personnel to allow them to polish everything, so they put what people they did have on the premium lines like the Python.
To allow them to continue producing guns, they brought out a line of unpolished flat black guns.

Among these were the Peacekeeper,which was a black Trooper Mark V, the Commando version of the Detective Special, and a flat black Cobra and Agent.

For unknown reasons, Colt didn't assign a special name to the unpolished Cobra and Agent.

The guns weren't popular with most buyers, so as soon as the strike ended, so to did these unpolished flat black guns.

Internally, the guns were the same with no short-cuts taken.
Price-wise these guns were a great deal.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I think they sold for $199 in the 1980's. I remember reading ads for the Commando in American Rifleman and I believe they stressed you could buy one for under $200.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I bought one during that short time when they were out and new. I still have the receipt. $179 plus tax.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
And from time to time they have been offered on auction as "2 inch Commandos" which are more scarce. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
I thought a Colt Commando was a parkerized version of the blued Colt Official Police made during WW2 era.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYI, there were qty 6 of these WW2 guns manufactured with a blued finish. I have one of the six.

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Addicted, please tell me where you came up with that "one of six" figure.

[/ QUOTE ] just a guess but i`m thinking that used car salesman that sold it to him /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif sorry addicted i couldn`t resist /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Hi Judge,
I'd be curious to know where that figure came from too... I've been collecting these for a long time and I have never heard or seen any reference to the Commando being made in blue???
The whole idea behind the Commando was to lower the cost to the government for the revolver. Thus the parkerized finish.. The first three prototypes were the Official Police revolvers numbered in the Official Police serial number range, and then the Commando was sequencially numbered 1 through 50145 and then skipped to 50203 to 50280. A large number of Commandos were reworked after WW II... Maybe Addicted has one that got reblued then???

I have not found any documents in the National Archives or the Colt shipping records so far that indicate there were any original blued Commandos... If you find some documentation on this, would you please let me know as I actively collect them. Thanks! Bob Best

PS - I think you asked a question about when the Army Special and Official Police models came out... While checking my references on the Commando Model, I found that the last listed date in Colt catalog for the Army Special was 1927. In 1928, there was no listing.... Take Care, Bob

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Someday I'm going to get my gun lettered and I'll report the findings.

Rumor #1) Eisenhower had one of these blued guns. Rumor #2) 6 blued guns were shipped to NYPD. At this time, I have no documented evidence.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Hi Addicted,

You wrote:
"Someday I'm going to get my gun lettered and I'll report the findings.

Rumor #1) Eisenhower had one of these blued guns. Rumor #2) 6 blued guns were shipped to NYPD. At this time, I have no documented evidence."

How about sharing the serial number of your Commando? Even a partial with the last digit x'd out would most likely allow us to check and see what shipment it was in and whether it had any unusual finish...That would be a historically significant find!

I sent RM Vivas an email asking about the six blued Commando revolvers going to NYPD. we'll see what he has to say...

I never heard the rumor about Eisenhower having a Blued Commando, but wouldn't that make at least seven blued ones in existence if he had one also?

I believe his weapons are on display in a museum... I'll see if I can track that one down too... Bob Best

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Hi Addicted,

Followup on Blued Commando rumor:

I checked a couple other locations on the web including the Eisenhower memorial. I found a reference to Eisenhower having a Colt Commando revolver but no reference to it being a BLUED Commando...

Also,

At the end of the war, the Army Ordnance historical report, "Project Support Paper #39," summarized the Commando's military history...I could find no reference to a BLUED version of the Commando there either...??? Bob Best

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Hi Addicted,
Thanks for sending the serial number of your Commando. A check through the records of the NYCPD does not show any listing for your gun, blued or otherwise... Nor is there any record listed with Springfield Research Services' archives on your serial number...

Thanks for sharing the information on your gun!
Bob Best

1 - 16 of 16 Posts