Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to fill in my snubby collection and I am looking for a original, not refinished with correct grips, blue or nickel PP 2.5". The prices are over the place on GB and GA.

Before I buy one, or ask for one in the WTB section, what is a fair price to pay?

TIA

·
Registered
253 Posts
It all depends on the condition.

People who auction on these sites sometimes hide things by posting pictures and then expect the potential buyer to see what they don't describe. I think they should be obligated to divulge all they know about what they are showing in the pictures. I once bought what I thought was a 99% A-5 Browning only to discover upon delivery that it had a hairline crack in the forestock the seller never divulged and was impossible to see in the pictures. He refused to take it back and tried to slink out of the return by saying he would "repair" the crack in the forestock...Not good enough for collection..I had to resolve by forcing him to take it back and return my funds. A real pain in the gluttens...

But with this in mind, bid away, so long as you are confident you can return the item, or force the seller to take back the item if it doesn't suit your collection. I almost always use credit card for this reason. You can contest the charge if you have been swindled or cheated. The extra 3% that most sellers charge is damn cheap insurance to protect yourself from underhanded deals.

As for new 33rd edtion of Blue Book values:

The New Pocket 2 1/2 in 80% reads $525........... 90% reads $725.

The Pocket Positive 1st Issue 80% would read $425......... 90% reads $550.

Add 15%-20% for Nickel Finish

Good luck

·
Registered
253 Posts
You are most welcome elliotf....

Beware of the auction sites and be very careful on the items you bid. Most dealers are straight up but some are real jerks and think they know it all in their x amount of years in collecting and selling firearms. They can be very cagey and slippery in thier sales.. I have run into them all.

I find sometimes good deals at "buy now" or on classifieds over at Guns America. Also gun shows and all of the store front guys you can find in your area of travels. You can also advertise free here on the "wanted to buy" forum. Best of luck

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
After a long hard search,, I paid north of 2k for one that is brand new in the box, which is out of the ordinary but the gun is truley a 100% time capsule piece in its original box. I love the gun and its one of my favorites. It doesnt take a NIB Shooting Master in .45 to make my heart race. As you can see I am easily entertained. I would bet you can pick up a minty 97-98% no boxed gun for 700-900. You can probably pick up a lesser gun, 92-94% in the 5-6 hundred range. They are kind of the low man on the totem pole, but gaining recognition. Most of these you find will be in less than collector quality condition or refinished, these were somewhat economy guns and were put to used when they were bought new. Its semi tough to find these in high condition but not impossible. It just depends on how nice of an example you want and what you are willing to pay for one. Keep your eyes open, one will show up.

John Fugate

1 - 5 of 5 Posts