Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering selling my Colt Police Positive .22lr. It is has a 4" bbl. & fixed sights. I am told,by other members of this group it is a scarce version made in limited numbers as a police trainer etc. Condition wise,it leaves something to be desired. It has been Parkerized (or something similar) and has pitted areas around the end of the cylinder & forcing cone area.The bore is "dark". However,it is a tack driver with VERY tight lock up. Any idea as to what price I should ask? I have never seen another one like it and don't have a reference point. I added period Colt wood checkered grips. It was made circa 1926.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Well...as in all collectibles "generally speaking"..condition is the key to determining price. I don't believe that this particular specimen is remarkably obscure, say like an early SAA with provenance lettered to U.S. Cavalry issue and use. If my opinion is accurate, the condition rather than the rarity will dictate price. I've owned the PP target models (several of them) and frankly, never found them to be comfortable to shoot and almost alway's stubborn when ejecting spent cartridges after a cylinder or two went down the tube. I think at best you have a good shooter. The refinish (unless it was originally parkerized for military use?) sounds the death knell for any meaningful collectible premium. The pitting and dark bore....well if someone really wanted one as a representative specimen, I don't think that would matter greatly. Why not post a picture (if possible) and give the members an opportunity to see it. You may realize more meaningful information that way. There are many well informed students of Colt firearms who will be happy to provide their input. I hope this helps for a start. Good luck!
Lefty
bellcharteroakholsters.com

·
Registered
806 Posts
As 'Bellcharter' said, "conditon " is about the MOST primary of factors, but 'original' to ME is first, it can be great condition, but NOT original.
I for one do NOT recall having seen any in the 4", yes, have had and seen some of the 6" or the "target" models, but these were all 'blue'. If 'mint' shape, original, they may run into the 500-600 range or more.
If redone, dark bore ,so-so, then this price is about "half". The good thing is that .22's are usually very "desireable/sought after", so this will definitely influend any buyer, as it will "offset" other issues.

As for the 'trainer'by any PD or military, seems a stretch with out any documentation or 'stamps'(markings), as this is a "common" refinish of old period guns like that.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My apologies..."original condition"... is what I was trying to emphasize as the primary factor in valuation. It's present state of condition, is indeed secondary, but more salient to it's value as a shooter. Hope this clarifies my post.
Lefty
bellcharteroakholsters.com

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input.

I am going to "roll the dice" and put it on Gunbroker.com

That is the only iron clad way I know to really find out the value as it will sell for the going rate.

Best,
CDA

1 - 5 of 5 Posts