Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Above said question.

In my mind, without a doubt, the movie Magnum Force wins hands down. The Python .357 Magnum has a starring role in it equal to or perhaps even greater than Dirty Harry's own S&W M-29. It is featured in just about every killing or shooting scene and is depicted as the powerful gun that it is, a magnum. (even in hollywood style, throwing people back as they are shot by it). It's used not by one character but just about every character that is a uniformed policeman. Most notably the four young biker cops that are crack shots but also seen in the hands of one or two other SFPD policemen. (I kind of wonder if Colt paid the movie makers to feature their Python so prominently for marketing with the hope it might boost sales as the M29 had done for S&W following the first Dirty Harry movie)

even the trailer seems to emphasize the Python more though than the M-29 MAGNUM FORCE - Trailer ( 1973 ) - YouTube

That's my take. Maybe somebody knows a movie I don't. About the only thing that comes close to this would be a tv series (not movie) Walking Dead (but it's with only one character and it sits in the holster more than anything else, and when it's used it's depicted as just kind of a generic gun that goes "pop" like all the others)

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I don't think Colt paid anyone anything. San Fransisco PD issued Pythons to their guys and they tried to make it real as possible so they used them in the movie that was the era of revolvers. Every detail was accurate right down to cars, uniforms , badges and motorbikes. Being that it was Clint Eastwood I'm sure the SFPD helped out in every way to shine on the screen. Remember the only shows out at the time always depicted LAPD and NYPD, so this was SFPD chance to get the screen. It was a great flick love it every time I watch it. I Like when movies try their best to authenticate which ever police force they are trying to capture on the set. It just makes it more real even though its a movie and no one is going on chases shooting out of cars. Never saw Rancho deluxe. Electra Glide in Blue was a good movie I once made a python like his two tone. sold it after some time wish I had kept it wonder what happened to it.

Reactions: ColtsDad

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I don't think Colt paid anyone anything. San Fransisco PD issued Pythons to their guys and they tried to make it real as possible so they used them in the movie that was the era of revolvers. Every detail was accurate right down to cars, uniforms , badges and motorbikes. Being that it was Clint Eastwood I'm sure the SFPD helped out in every way to shine on the screen. Remember the only shows out at the time always depicted LAPD and NYPD, so this was SFPD chance to get the screen. It was a great flick love it every time I watch it. I Like when movies try their best to authenticate which ever police force they are trying to capture on the set. .
Really? I thought the SFPD issued S&W M-28s to their policemen back then. I didn't know they issued Pythons. Wow. I recall on the DVD commentary by the director, he points out that 1) .357 Magnum Colt Pythons were what "every cop wanted" back then if they could and 2) he strove for realism pointing out during one shootout that the shootouts in that movie were probably "more realistic than other movies that came later" because there "wasn't a huge volume of gunfire" that later DH movies and other modern movies do all the time. Also gives you a better appreciation of shot placement and the fact that "Harry never misses because he's that good."

To me, that movie is the best of the Dirty Harry movies (though I like them all) because it has a better story, a mystery and a little more action (that's a bit more believable) and a good supporting cast in addition to Clint Eastwood. It really made biker cops look dangerous (an image that was hit on briefly in Terminator 2 with Robert Patrick taking a motorcycle and police uniform and helmet with dark glasses....and the serious look on his face)

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Although its not a movie....The Walking Dead is a great show that features a python. Rick is a bad ass with it.
Agreed. But why does he so often hold his gun like this: Selfie Photography Shooting sport Shooting Combat pistol shooting
Barechested Human Muscle Chest
Standing Photography Gunfighter
Grass family Grass Plant Movie Barechested

It's not realistic, it's not professional, you can't aim it, it doesn't look controlled....it doesn't even look cool. It just looks like another version of the ghetto sideways hold to a pistol only this is a....high hold with a lanky wrist. Hold the gun up with the sight even with my hairline and tell them "I busta cap in yo a---"

·
Registered
249 Posts
Another Pair of Aces, Three of a kind........ Kris Kristofferson carries a nice Python with Stag grips....The belt and holster appears to look like a rig that is made at Texas Department of Corrections. I have one of these that was made by a inmate. They make great leather goods...

·
Registered
8,622 Posts
Well I might as well throw "Starsky and Hutch" in the pot. Yea I know it was a TV series, but in the pilot film Paul Michael Glasser used a Colt .45 Automatic and David Soul a Python.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I don't know if they were issued pythons or not I read that some where or they had the option to purchase pythons if they wanted. I am told back then they were more liberal on what you wanted to carry rather issue. What do I know I was 5 yrs old. I came into Law Enforcement in the transition stage from revolvers to semi auto. When I first started we had S&W 38 specials I think they were model 65 or 64 can't recall but they were stainless. The older guys told me they could buy what they wanted but pythons were expensive. Maybe someone who was in LE back then can shed better light. Oh by the way I never saw the documentary on the movie. I just gathered what I read and how they make movies to gather that notion to make it real as possible for the audience.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I had a 40 year vet when I started out who still has his 38 diamondback in 2.5 inch and it's mint. Off duty weapon. I have been trying to buy that gun for years and the answer is maybe.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
However, my favorite is "Rancho Deluxe."
a quirky, relatively unknown, rarely seen, but great movie!
I don't recall a python but I do remember the buffalo rifle.
it's been years since I've seen it but your comment brought back my memory of it and now I'm going to search the net to see if I can find a download of it. thumbs up :cool:

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
a quirky, relatively unknown, rarely seen, but great movie!
I don't recall a python but I do remember the buffalo rifle.
it's been years since I've seen it but your comment brought back my memory of it and now I'm going to search the net to see if I can find a download of it. thumbs up :cool:
The bedroom scene has Jeff Bridges pulling out a "mean heater" of a Python when the father and the local ladies barge into the room. Yes, there is the Sharps Buffalo rifle also.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.