Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the Colt \"Silversnake\" revolver?

1)What is the Colt "Silversnake" revolver?

2)What frame was the "Silversnake" made on?

3)What years, was the Colt "Silversnake" made?

4)What calibers was the Colt "Silversnake" made in?

5)Was the Colt "Silversnake" a good gun(As I never heard of this gun before?)?

6)Please add anything else, known about the Colt "Silversnake" and, it's history?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,895 Posts
Re: What is the Colt \"Silversnake\" revolver?

1. As I recall, the "Silver Snake" was just a stainless steel Colt Python.

2. Since it was a Python, it was built on the standard "I" frame.

3. Can't remember the year.

4. It was chambered for the .357 Magnum.

5. It was a Python, which means top-of-the-line.

I can't remember if the "Silver Snake" was a limited run for Lew Horton, or to introduce the stainless steel Python, similar to the "Silver Star" limited run that introduced the stainless Government Model.

[This message has been edited by dfariswheel (edited 05-15-2004).]

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Will the stocks from a Colt "Silversnake" fit on a Colt model 357(1953-61)?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,895 Posts

Yes, they'll physically fit, but they won't be "correct" since the 357 used either the version one or two type grips.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I know what the version one stocks look like-but, what does the version two stocks look like? Thanks!

[This message has been edited by Colt38 (edited 05-17-2004).]

·
Registered
1,064 Posts

Didn't the version one style stocks have full coverage checkering and the version two style had the checkering stoppng in a straight line under the medalions or the curved checkering? I do know they had the silver medalions.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,895 Posts

Short answer:
The "Version One" was completely checkered on each side, from top to bottom, and had no "thumb rest".

Color was VERY dark brown, and MOST of these appear NOT to be walnut, but some lighter colored, relatively soft wood with a dark brown stain, and a dull oil, open pore finish.

"Version Two" had a "Thumb rest" (actually a clearance cut to make loading the cylinder easier) on the left side. The right side had no cut and was rounded to the frame.
This version has checkering that wraps 1/2 of the way around the Colt medallions.

These were almost always walnut, but a few in the lighter, softer non-walnut are found.
The walnut usually has nice grain and a great red-brown color. These had a varnish-like satin finish.

"Version Three" has "thumb rests" on BOTH sides, and the checkering ends in a straight, slanted line below the medallions.
The "corners" of the straight line are rounded slightly.

These are always walnut, but quality of wood grain and figure began to deteriorate. Color began to lighten.

"Version 3.2" is the same as the V.Three, except the corners of the line of checkering on the top are left sharp.

During this era, grip color got lighter and lighter, often being an almost orange color.
Quality deteriorated, and patches and repairs for defects and poor fit began to be used. Very little grain or figure.

NOTE: You'll see grips that look SIMILAR to Colt target grips for sale at CDNN and often on Ebay. Sometimes these even have gold Colt medallions, and may even be in Colt factory wrap.

The ARE NOT FACTORY GRIPS. These were/are made by a non-Colt company, and were once sold by Colt as a cheap replacement for Colt revolvers.

Colt NEVER, EVER shipped revolvers with these grips on them. A few people have bought Colt Pythons with these grips on them, but as it turns out, unscrupulous dealers were switching these cheap replacements for the valuable Colt-made target grips.

These grips are easy to recognize, since the checkering pattern actually looks more like the checkering on a S&W revolver.

[This message has been edited by dfariswheel (edited 05-17-2004).]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts