Colt Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't own a Clawson's book so I am hoping someone can help me with this one. I believe the correct magazine for this gun should have C-R, C-L, or C-S stamped on the magazine bottom plate. One any of this magazines be more correct for this gun? Were all three of these manufactures making these magazines for Colt in 1943? Is any one of these magazines more desirable or collectable than the other? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
11,715 Posts
1943 covers a lot of production, so whether early 1943 or late 1943 makes a difference. The C-R/S/L type would be correct, but if early 1943 the base of the magazine was pinned, and at about mid 1943 the bases were welded.

The M.S. Little Company was the prime contractor for the magazines, with Scovill and Risdon being sub-contractors of Little who assembled components furnished by Little.

·
Registered
10 Posts
JohnnyP:

How can I tell whether my 1911A1 is early or late 1943 year production? Also, the magazine that came with the 1943 model 1911A1 I purchased was marked "R" on the bottom plate. I read where that stands for Risdon. Would Risdon have supplied magazines for my pistol, or is more likely that the magazine was added later when the original was lost or broken?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
11,715 Posts
You could post the serial number and someone will be glad to tell you when it was shipped.

If your pistol was issued with a Risdon magazine, it will have a R on top of the toe, and a C-R on the bottom of the toe. Magazines are the quickest part of a Model 1911A1 to change, so it would be doubtful that it would retain the original magazine. It is just nice to match it back up with the magazine it would have been issued with.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Correct magazine

I think my 1911A1 may actually be a 1942 model. The serial number is 807874. If someone could let me know when my pistol was shipped and any other details, I would surely appreciate the info. Also, the magazine my pistol has has the "R" on the top of the toe, but I do not see any letters on the bottom of the toe. :confused:

·
Registered
11,715 Posts
Your Colt Model 1911A1 was shipped in the August 1942 time period. Your pistol would need the unmarked pin base full blue magazine as manufactured by Colt. The R marked magazine you describe is incorrect for the type of magazine you Colt would have been issued with.

·
Registered
11,715 Posts
As noted in my post, the magazine would be unmarked. The COLT 45 AUTO marked magazine is a commercial magazine, but a few were transferred to the military contract. These magazines had the original bright blue removed, and the bases were sandblasted before bluing, giving them a dull phosphate finish look.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
I thought the majority of the Risdon Magazines went to Remingon-Rand and a few to other manufacturers of the 1911A1.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Correct 1911A1 magazine

Thanks for your help JohnnyP. I will begin my search for an "unmarked pin base full blue magazine as manufactured by Colt". Are there counterfeits of these on the market that I should stay away from?
Has anyone got a picture of one they could share with me? Also, if anyone has ideas on where I might look, other than eBay, please let me know.

One other question: I would like to shoot my 1911A1 at least a few rounds before I retire it to the safe. Is there any particular ammo I should stay away from, that might damage my pistol? I recently purchased this pistol and do not want to damage it in any way.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
11,715 Posts
The M.S. Little Co. was the prime magazine contractor, and Risdon and Scovill were subcontractors of Little, assembling magazines from parts supplied by Little. These magazines were furnished to Remington Rand, US&S, and Ithaca, and later to Colt where the base was marked with C-L, C-R, or C-S depending on who assembled the magazines.

·
Registered
10 Posts
unmarked pin base full blue magazine

Does anyone know where I might find a unmarked, pin-base, full blue magazine that would be correct for my 1942 year 1911A1?

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I thought the majority of the Risdon Magazines went to Remingon-Rand and a few to other manufacturers of the 1911A1.
Not sure why you thought that, but maybe you're right. Remington Rand produced far more pistols than Ithaca and US&S combined (more than twice as many). Therefore, they probably did use more Risdon mags than anyone else. Of course, the same would be true for Little and Scovill, too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts