Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a Colt Government Mk IV, Series 80, chambered in .380, Blue. I have been offered one in the box, with idiot scratch and 6 Colt Magazines. Other than the Scratch the gun appears to be in great condition. No brochures or paper work, just the correct plastic box.

This is not the Pony, Mustang or the Pocket Lite...I just don't have a need or a burning desire to throw $900.00 on one of these.

Yeah I know Colt is not making these any more and prices are going up, yada, yada, yada...:rolleyes: ;)

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
even with the 5 extra mags it's not a steal, if all are factory the mags are worth around $25. each, but even though you said they're going up in price and there aren't any more, you kind of answered your question when you said you don't have a burning desire to pay that much.
they have been and still are available for less if you're patient and if it was me i'd pass unless i could get it for a hundred or so less.

·
Premium Member
10,094 Posts
I have seen them go "as new in the box" with no idiot marks for $700 plus or minus a little.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Personally, I would pass... The scratch does it for me - but even anib .380 not screaming desirable by that many collectors - and it's a couple hundred high as a shooter - imo...

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Kid, I've never been a fan of the .380. For that amount you could find a nice Officers ACP or Commander and actually have something. As always JMHO

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Kid, maybe not so fast on not pulling the trigger of needing one. I am a wheel gun guy, Pythons mainly myself, but I got hooked on the Govt Mark IV 380, Series 80 only. I normally pay $500-$625 LNIB. They are the BEST of all Colt 380s IMHO including the new Mustang, Ponies, Pocketlite and all others. Colt discovered they could no longer make high quality Govt models for the current market price so the time of their manufacturing existence was brief 1983-1997. At Phx Gun Shows they draw around the neighborhood of $800. However, granted I agree $900 is a bit steep. Woman, especially first time shooters, love em. My buddies wives believe they are the cosmopolitan auto for woman purse pistols (not to be sexist). Check these out:

·
Registered
852 Posts
'88, why do you see a difference in mfg cost for the Govt Model as compared to the smaller versions?
You're preaching to the choir here; have a pretty nice specimen that I payed a lot less for. They are pleasant to shoot.
Fully agree that .380 isn't the manstopper of the Western world, but it beats primal screaming if trouble comes your way.
Moon

·
Premium Member
6,466 Posts
I think you were smart to pass this deal up. I'm not a fan of the .380 and the price seems pretty high. As always, JMHO.

·
Registered
160 Posts
If you don't like them, then of course you should pass. I agree, they are neat but not quite compelling for me, either. Just not a .380 guy i suppose. I vote "nah", or would that be "naw"...

·
Registered
912 Posts
A few months ago, I bought a nice looking boxless .380 Goverment with 3 mags for under $500.00. It proved to be a jam-o-matic and has since found a new home.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I bought one a couple months ago for $500 without the box and I love it. So far it's been flawless. These little guns are great but a $900 price is way too high!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts