Colt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its new in box, completely nickel with wooden grips but no medallions and 4 3/4" barrel. What would the value of this revolver be?

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
The serial number will tell you if it has the fixed or removable bushing. With a few exceptions, 3rd gen SAAs have the fixed bushing from their introduction in 1976 at around serial number 80000SA up to 2003 at around serial number S34000A. After that, the removable bushing was re-introduced.
- Bruce in Ohio

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh ok, I thought 44 Special was one of those rounds that made the revolver more valuable. This one is $1999.999999

·
Registered
573 Posts
' Frontier ' calibers are more popular and command more money. That same gun in .45 Colt might get 2K depending on condition.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Sounds like a 1979/80 gun. Fixed bushing/ plain wood stocks. Prices are climbing on them. $2000 is decent if you like it, but not a great price. Not a lot of new nickel guns that I have seen and none in 44 Special.

4 3/4 is the nickel gun to have. They will price accordingly...as in more $ than any other barrel length. 5 1/2 being the dogs for $. Many might prefer the 44 over a 45 for various reasons. High on my list is a 44-40 cylinder.

·
Registered
8,701 Posts
Guns International has a bunch of early ‘80s nickel .44 Specials in all barrel lengths. I think $1800 is generally the price range, but check it out. Remember, if it’s a gun from the early ‘80s, check for dished over polished frame screw holes under the nickel. And fitting of external parts. Quality was touch and go in thst period.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Wyatt is right on for quality and price. Prior to knowing any of that I bought three 44s in 4 3/4 from '79 and '80. Two nickel and one blue. All bought off GB sight unseen. All three came with plain jane wood grips. I still have the guns. All great shooters. And the cosmetic quality is excellent on all three as well. All three did come with terrible timing and triggers however. I had Jim Martin fix the timing and I did the trigger jobs.

Lots of that era 44 Specials still around. But I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one that caught my eye (not going to happen!) and saw enough pictures on line or in person to think it is a good one. Good luck on your search!

Good enough excuse to post a couple of photos :)

My nickel 44 Specials.

They both shot exceptionally well so I've enhanced them some over time.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Have a pair of nickel 357 7.5's. Finish is beautiful, black checkered eagle colt grips. Changed to mop and after redid springs and trigger job along with deburring and smoothing they are awesome shooters.

·
Premium Member
1,179 Posts
The serial number will tell you if it has the fixed or removable bushing. With a few exceptions, 3rd gen SAAs have the fixed bushing from their introduction in 1976 at around serial number 80000SA up to 2003 at around serial number S34000A. After that, the removable bushing was re-introduced.
- Bruce in Ohio
A little off the topic but I’ve been scrutinizing this removable bushing thing from Guns I see posted. If you are in the area of the S34000A
be sure you do a physical check to see if it is indeed removable. I just found serial S352xxA and it was not removable. I owned S34073A
and it was not removable. I had a GB seller incensed that I would ask about his 35000 (which without verification)said it was removable
because his source told him the change took place at S26000A ,which is wrong info. Pete

Reactions: Cozmo
1 - 14 of 14 Posts