Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Several years ago I inherited my dads service revolver(s). He was a police officer in El segundo, Manhattan & Redondo Beach CA in the late 50's to the late 60's. He was a sharpshooter and a marksman.I need to establish the value of his sidearm;

Colt 5 shot revolver PFA 38WCF serial # 348417 patent dates sept1871,july72,jan75.

My husband is not a gun guy and it has more kick than I like. I have done some research and found that the gun is valuable. However the range is very wide! Help me narrow the gap someone please!!:confused:

·
Registered
713 Posts
From the patent dates, sounds like a Colt Single Action Army. If so, the serial number is a first generation. Still needs pictures to be able to determine condition.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As soon as I posted the question I knew that would be an issue! Unfortunately I live in a rural area and it is currently in my best friends gun safe, He cleaned it for me recently. I am picking it up tomorrow and I will take photos. :(

Do you have any suggestions about particular views or aspects, other than makers markings?

·
Premium Member
4,494 Posts
Do you have any suggestions about particular views or aspects, other than makers markings?
Good close up overall pictures of the left side and right side of the SAA are always in order. Good lighting helps a bunch also!

·
Premium Member
4,494 Posts
I posed my question incorrectly, the gun does not read SAA it reads PFA:(
We gathered from the patent dates that it's probably a single action army.
Meaning that the cylinder doesn't swing out. You have to open the loading gate to load or extract shells from the cylinder. It's called a single action because you must pull the hammer back before you can pull the trigger to fire it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My question should have been...

I now have my revolver in my hands and the marks actually read
"Colt's PT.F.A. Mfg. Co HARTFORD CT. USA"

I have included photos, they would only allow 5 so I could upload more if I need to on a different thread.

·
Premium Member
4,494 Posts
From what I can see in the pictures, the finish looks original and still has a lot of it left on it also.

It's a 5-1/2" 38-40 made in 1926.

Value should be north of $3000 for a late prewar single action in that condition is my opinion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.