Colt Forum banner
41 - 60 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
10,305 Posts
And...last but not least would be my Walther CYQ Spreewerk P38 {serial #246}...circa 1942...
( #246 of the first 500 with Walther's Eagle over 359 stamp because they were assembled with Walther accepted small parts then marked CYQ to obfuscate the true manufacturer )

In 1938, the Wehrmacht looked to replace its legendary Pistole Parabellum 1908, better known as the Luger. It chose as its replacement the Walther-designed Pistole 38, however Walther wasn't the only manufacturer of these handguns.

Three manufacturers produced collectively over one million P.38s during the war. Walther was the earliest to begin production in June 1939, followed in 1942 by both Mauser and the lesser-known Spreewerk.

From June 1942 until April 1945 the slave laborers at the Spreewerk Werk Grottau factory in Grottau, Czechoslovakia produced approximately 280,880 P38s. Spreewerk produced the least of the three manufacturers. Also differentiating itself from Walther and Mauser, Spreewerk examples were the only complete wartime P38s produced outside of Germany.

The only wartime P38s that clearly display the names of their manufacturers are those produced during the first few months of the war by Walther. Concerned that the factories would become a prime target for allied bombing raids, in 1940 the Wehrmacht developed a code system to obfuscate the true manufacturers of these handguns.

Most Walthers were marked 'ac'. The majority of Mausers were marked "byf", however in 1945, shortly before French occupation of their factory, Mauser changed its marking to "svw", just in time to produce roughly 15,000 more P38s. Lastly, Spreewerk examples were marked "cyq".
( Some Spreewerk P.38s appear to be marked "cvq", however that is likely due to a damaged die stamp, where the leg of the "y" was missing.)

SPREEWERK

CYQ very early gun serial number 21

CYQ 2nd variation with e/359 small parts serial number range 50-500

CYQ 3rd variation with rare e/18 accepted locking block- (Eight known examples 2514, 2596, 2630, 2678, 2852, 2853, 2894, 2933)

CYQ 3rd variation with matched numbered holster serial number range 500-1565d. 41,000 produced - 3842c

CYQ 3rd variaton with backward "c" on slide and carry permit dated 1946, full rig - 7476c

CYQ 4th variation "rig" serial number range 1584d-9804z. 120,000 produced with capture papers and holster - 6073f

Source: Untitled Document (p38guns.com/Spreewerk.htm)
& Spreewerk 208 (p38guns.com/Spreewerk%20208.htm)

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
The Astra 1921/400/600 series pistols are really cool, and I wanted to like them so bad...Until you shoot them. Trigger slap out of most, and recoil is really sharp for a 9mm. But they're just so cool looking and the craftsmanship/build quality is absolutely outstanding. I will say, my 600/43 was wicked accurate, just not pleasurable to shoot.

I found the 300/3000 series were the way to go. Its a much better design when you make it a .32/.380 pocket pistol. I have a 3000 with .32 & .380 top halves. In .32ACP its a really fun pistol to shoot.

·
Registered
9,517 Posts
The Astra 1921/400/600 series pistols are really cool, and I wanted to like them so bad...Until you shoot them. Trigger slap out of most, and recoil is really sharp for a 9mm. But they're just so cool looking and the craftsmanship/build quality is absolutely outstanding. I will say, my 600/43 was wicked accurate, just not pleasurable to shoot.

I found the 300/3000 series were the way to go. Its a much better design when you make it a .32/.380 pocket pistol. I have a 3000 with .32 & .380 top halves. In .32ACP its a really fun pistol to shoot.
I’ve always liked these guns since the late 60s when I saw one used by the “hero” in the Italian western “The Mercenary” as a kid. the muzzle of my Remington Model 81 reminds me of this gun.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I love the story of how Astra sold the 600/43's to Germany twice. Nazi's pre-paid for like 50k of them, and after Astra had delivered about 1/4 of them, they lost the transit route to the Reich. So Astra never delivered the remaining pistols. Then after the war Germany needed police pistols, and wouldn't you know it; Astra had some pistols on hand, and were willing to make them a great deal. Too funny.

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
My second favorite would be my Beretta M1951. It's an Italian Police marked pistol. Fits my hand perfect. All steel except for the grips. Heavy and solid, just how I like them.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
I love the story of how Astra sold the 600/43's to Germany twice. Nazi's pre-paid for like 50k of them, and after Astra had delivered about 1/4 of them, they lost the transit route to the Reich. So Astra never delivered the remaining pistols. Then after the war Germany needed police pistols, and wouldn't you know it; Astra had some pistols on hand, and were willing to make them a great deal. Too funny.
10,500 Astra 600's got delivered. Same deal with the Star B, there was a shipment enroute in July,1944 that didn't make it :) (2000 pistols in Lot 20). Many of those became West German police (LPN etc) pistols later on. Legacy has an Astra 600 up today that was delivered (WaAD20) AND has an LBPN West German police marking. Don't see that too often.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
For me, I have 9x19mm pistols but pretty much all are collector stuff.
But the CZ-75B really surprised me once I figured it out, very accurate and comfortable.
If I had to use a 9 instead of a 45 that's where I'd turn.
Most heinous on the list, the CZ-38 (granted that's 9x17 Kurz).

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
My favorite 9mm pistol is the C96 "Red Nine". But for carry I like the CZ 75D PCR. Lightweight, high capacity, all metal, traditional SA/DA operation. Mine has Dawson night sights and an Apex trigger that breaks like a glass rod in single action.

Wood Natural material Trigger Jewellery Metal

Air gun Wood Trigger Gun barrel Wood stain

·
Registered
361 Posts
My Sig P938 is my favorite because it is my only 9mm. I pocket carry it as a secondary to my five-inch 1911 in either .45 ACP or 10mm.

·
Registered
286 Posts
The only 9mm I have is a Ruger P89DC. It's not ideal for concealed carry but I like the chunky construction. Plus unlike some 9mm auto loaders it's not at all picky about ammo.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp................
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood Gun accessory

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
I thought I would see more Colt's......
Colt 9mm Competition Model. Both purchased new in 2017. Both are very accurate with my handloads.
I like this one because it shoots so well. I liked it enough that I bought another one thats blued, so I have 2 of them. I use the blued one for CDP matches. Both are Series 80 and both have fantastic out of the box triggers.

Vertebrate Air gun Wood Everyday carry Trigger

Air gun Trigger Gas Gun accessory Everyday carry

Font Revolver Engineering Trigger Gun accessory

·
Registered
286 Posts
I’ve always liked these guns since the late 60s when I saw one used by the “hero” in the Italian western “The Mercenary” as a kid. the muzzle of my Remington Model 81 reminds me of this gun.

Jack Palance. One of my favorite actors. Even when he was in a movie wasn't that interesting he always was.
"Attack" is one of my favorites.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp.............

·
Registered
55 Posts
Until recently I would have said “none.” I like my guns all metal, so most modern 9s are out. I am not a collector, so most older ones are out too, save perhaps a Walther P38.

FWIW, my only semi is a 1911. I have shot many modern 9s and save for the Walther PPK and the S&W M&P 9s, I did not like them, though they shot well enough. No soul.

Yet my 2022 gun (I budget for one firearm/year unless I sell one) is going to be a Beretta 92 FS. Why? Feed ramp design reduces jams, grip angle fits my big hands, de cocker and safety design Appeal to me. Don’t need no stinking’ rail, either. I dislike optics or lights on my handguns, so it will be an M-9 mil-spec.

Finally, they shoot well for me.

41 - 60 of 101 Posts