Colt Forum banner
81 - 100 of 101 Posts

·
Premium Member
721 Posts
I admire some 9mm pistols. I don't care for 9mm Luger which is a cartridge I enjoy "hating."
Post-war East German/VOPO Luger?
The front sight on your Spreewerk P.38 is installed backwards :)
I'd be curious to see if the sight is factory-staked like the barrel on the left or if the barrel is staked and sight unstaked like the one on the right.
QC wasn't the highest at Spreewerk and mistakes slipped through, which makes them interesting I think.

Door Gas Font Wood Auto part

Fixture Gas Font Auto part Metal

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
Cool! Always liked those.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I admire some 9mm pistols. I don't care for 9mm Luger which is a cartridge I enjoy "hating."

I like all of these 9mm handguns (even the Star BM) except the poor Glock 17. There is nothing about any Glock pistol that I like so the 17 is kept as a specimen for study (and potential tradin' goods). The High Power is my favorite. The CZ 75BD is a crackling good handgun, even if the cartridge is both mundane and overrated. The Colt Series 70 Mark IV is always correct.
I echo your sentiment. I hate the cartridge but like a few of the guns!

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Armybrat - a funny story about a Kahr CW9. I walked into my local gun shop one afternoon and walked out with a CW9, in the box, 3 magazines, owner’s manual, etc. for $315.00 OTD. That night while I was cleaning it (shot a lot, never cleaned it seemed) I was reading posts on a gun forum where someone was looking for a CW9. I posted I had one available and where I lived. The next day I got a PM from another forum member saying he‘d been looking for one for his wife who just loved how the CW9 fit her hand. He proposed a straight up trade his gun for mine. We agreed to meet; at times during the drive there it was almost in white out snow, we met. We exchanged guns and handshakes; he was happy, his wife was happy, and as I drove back home I was really happy with my almost like new with box, papers, and 3 magazines, Sig P-228! I later made over $500.00 when I sold it!

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
[/
Schuren

Schuren
15 h ago, What is your favorite 9mm pistol?
Friends,
I do not get nice groups with any pistol..but my best 9mm is the VIS (Radom)...and then a Mauser Luger.
QUOTE]

Hello Peter.

Very nice VIS (Radom) you have there. I have one also, but not as pristine as yours.

It was, according to some, one of the most advanced pistol designs to come out of
WW II. Since my paternal grandfather came to the U.S. from Krakow in 1909, I'm am
very proud of what the Poles were able to accomplish. It was designed to be simple,
reliable and not complex to produce.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Hello,
it is not only an advanced design. It is absolut top quality... but I presume it was not cheap in those days. the Polish army was not thrifty with their pistols....

You get what you pay for. In my part of Germany they made the worst revolvers you could buy before WW I. But you could buy them for for less than $ 2.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know that this has been discussed before. But, the answer is a moving target and can tend to change as time goes by.

At present, I have eighteen 9mm pistols of different makes/models.

I like each of them for various reasons. (How’s that for hedging my bets? 😀)

However, there is one that is as close to perfect as it gets. It is incredibly accurate. The extremely low bore axis tames the recoil to an astonishing degree. The sights are so different and provide an very easy to see sight picture.
The trigger pull and overall balance are outstanding as well.
Extra grip panels and blackstraps are included for a conversion to fit the hand.
I’ll end the suspense......

It is the Steyr L9 A2 MF ( Modular Frame)

What is your favorite? Why??

Best,
Charles
My favorite is Browning Hi-Power, But I also like HK P-7 variants, P-08 Lugers, P-38 Walthers, Colt Commanders...But no plastic please.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
AS A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT:

My absolute least favorite 9MM would be my formerly owned Detonics Pocket 9. Although caliber, even the lowly .22 Short creates recoil. The Pocket 9 to me was the most painful 9MM I’ve ever owned or shot. This was when shooting any 9MM ammo from FMJ ”range” ammo to 147 grain +P JHPS. I still have my Detonics Pocket 380 though.

Air gun Trigger Wood Wood stain Gun barrel

Top: Pocket 9, Bottom: Pocket 380

The Pocket 380 has normal sights; the Pocket 9 has recessed ala “gutter type” sights:

Brown Fixture Wood Door Rectangle

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I'll have to second that. I worked at a gun shop when those came out and everyone was so excited. And then I got to lay hands on it... DA pull is actually painful, and recoil is SHARP. So back in those days, I skipped the Detonics and bought an Astra A70.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
I had a Detonics Pocket 9 35 or so years ago. I traded away a very nice pistol (that shall remain nameless!) to get it because I just HAD to have one. It didn’t stay long. You live and you learn. 🙁

I do still have an AMT Backup .45 which I really like though. Go figure…… 😀

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Detonics, AMT...this is all taking me back to no so great memories. My first gunsmithing job was doing assembly for...wait for it... VEGA.
That's right, I can make ANY 1911 work, I did assembly for Vega. That was a soul crushing job.

·
Registered
11,300 Posts
How about Crown City Arms? Can you say galling?

81 - 100 of 101 Posts