Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine is a stainless steel 38 special Detective Special with a 3 inch barrel. It rides in a Strong Brand Holster and stayed loaded with CCI Blazers. When I don't have this or really want to be prepared I take the Python. doc

·
Premium Member
9,460 Posts
Most revolvers are too bulky for me for the limited round count. Small size and light weight are the key features for me, which leaves the Pony Pocketlite as the number one choice of a Colt for carry. I went further with mine and cut off the ridiculously long tang, beveled the muzzle, softened the sharp edges and lightened the slide.

It is the only Colt in my hierarchy of carry guns from the smallest to the largest, depending on the threat level and clothing restrictions. Holster carry is not an option for me as I must be able to remove my jacket. (Remember the Sally Field character in Absence of Malice wearing a jacket on a hot day on a boat ride?) The progression is North American Arms Mini-Revolver .22LR, Kel-Tec P32, Colt Pony Pocketlite, Kel-Tec P11, Smith & Wesson Model 6906, Steyr GB, USAS-12 with 20-round drum, Barrett M82A1, .... Opps! Got carried away.

The Mini-Revolver is always in a pocket, where it has been for about 30 years. The Kel-Tec P32 is usually with me, replacing the Pony Pocketlite in that category, while the others rarely are. (The large GB is usually in off-body carry, along with several extra magazines.)

Over the years, as more attractive guns have been introduced, the primary carry gun has changed. Decades ago, there was nothing to beat a Smith & Wesson Bodyguard in nickel for pocket carry. When the stainless Bodyguard came out, it replaced the nickel one. When the Kel-Tec P11 came out, holding 11 rounds of 9x19 and being smaller and lighter than the Bodyguard, that replaced the Bodyguard. The Pony Pocketlite was on the scene with the Bodyguard and was often a choice when smaller and lighter was dictated. It then alternated with the P11 on the same basis. The P32 is so small and light it is hard to carry anything bigger now that it has become available. A mouse gun is always better than no gun.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hey Doc,
It just HAS to be my Combat Commander, series 80,SS w/ those new mammoth Bark Ivory grips I just put on it

------------------
An Armed Society Is A
Polite Society

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have carried the Colt Commander and full size 1911 types for more than thirty years and will probably continue to do so. I feel at home with it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
When the weather is cool enough to wear a jacket I carry a custom 70 series Gold Cup. Sometimes a Delta Elite.
I used to carry a Colt Government .380 Pocketlite in warm weather, but wasn`t comfortable with the caliber. So I switched to a model 40 Firestar for warm weather carry.

·
Registered
80 Posts
My favorite carry gun is an older Colt .32 hammerless that has been refinished.

Not being in law enforcement, and one who avoids biker bars and public housing projects, the .32 is enough for me. These old Colt hammerless autos are flat, amd easy to carry.

Jerry

·
Registered
64 Posts
It's gonna be my Detective Special...just as soon as that permit arrives!

------------------
-Gun control means using both hands-
JR

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm in the outdoors most of the time so my carry gun is a little different. A third generation SAA with two piece ivory grips and a 4 3/4" bbl in .44 Special.

·
Registered
265 Posts
My S&W 340SC because of the weight in my pocket holster. If using an ankle holster or IWB, my S&W 649 or my Colt Magnum Carry,
John

·
Registered
224 Posts
Hey Doc, I have a as new, El Paso, holster, Tom Threeeperson, style for a 6" Python, my 8" one will not fit. can send pic's if needed. $87.50, shipping included, and ready to go. NO waiting on this one. :)

Tusker

------------------
An Armed Society Is A
Polite Society

1 - 10 of 10 Posts