Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If money was no object I'd have one of everything of course, but believe I'd like to specialize in 20th century Colt products to about 1969. I really like the double action revolvers.

·
Administrator
7,302 Posts
1890-1945 /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Re: What Is Your Favorite Era For Collecting Colts

Pre-war and early Post-war (just so I can slip the Pythons in).

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Cartridge Pre-War and early Post war DA guns... I have been known to dabble in percussion models & SAAs from time to time too! :) ... Bob

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
I tend to like guns from the 1960's, and focus almost exclusively on revolvers.

I'm in my Twenties, so 40+ years ago seems like a long time! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts

Right, I was in my 20s in the 60s. But we digress. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Started with modern (SF / 90s) because I didn't buy one new when they were being made. Worked my way back through D frames and J frames. So, I guess it's post-war DAs. No big attraction to pre-war or SAAs (other than cowboys as a kid) and no snakes. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

·
Registered
794 Posts

Although I have and enjoy the Pre War and Post War Colts, I prefer the more "modern" Colts of the 60's to present. These are guns of my era and hold a softer place in my heart.

·
Registered
324 Posts

I'm with WS23. I like modern revolvers. Although with prices of some of these models just getting outrageous, I may change my mind.
I also have a fondness for SAAs. Maybe I'll just buy another of those and let you guys fight over the Diamondbacks for the same money! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts

To somewhat digress again, where do you make the distinction between post-war and modern? Perhaps there is a classic distinction that I never realized. Of course it's all post-war after the war /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif, but to me, I guess "modern" would be 90s and on. Perhaps to others the J frames would be a transition point Coltwise? /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
324 Posts

That's a good question. Probably everybody has a different answer. I tend to split them as modern and, I don't know...older. Late 1950s maybe?
I think of the modern revolvers as the ones with shrouded ejectors and target-style full stocks.
Even the post war revolvers, to me, have a different feel and appearance. The service stocks, narrow hammers.
That's probably out of the mainstream but just my personal summary.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Come on guys! I know this is pretty much a DA gang, but you've got to love the 1st Generation SAA. As our buddy R.L. Wilson put it, "In design and performance, in line and form, no more sculptural and practical Colt has been created than the Single Action Army-the Peacemaker."

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
1910-1960

but mostly whatever i can afford at the time...

rayb

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bisley06;

I have a single ol' tired .38-40 SAA. I'd have more but for the small matter of funds.

Flusher;

What is that tab do-hickey at the top of the Woodsman's grip, just above the trigger?

Shel49;

An early "Dick Special" is on my short list of acquisitions.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
What is that tab do-hickey at the top of the Woodsman's grip, just above the trigger?

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like all part of a slide stop. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

1 - 20 of 28 Posts