Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What is your favorite S&W (or any other "non Colt" company) revolver & why?

No heresy intended. :) Just curious.....

Here's mine:

The Model 65 .357 with a 3"bbl. It is the most practical & comfortable carry revolver that I have ever owned. It conceals very well and still is accurate and controllable with full house loads. IMHO ,in this configuration, it is the best self defense revolver that any company ever produced.

Charles

·
Registered
793 Posts
Ditto, Charles. I carry a Model 65 every day, rotating with my Model 696, both with 3" barrels. I also occasionally carry a ca. 1993 DS, along with a ca. 1975.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Colt DA's simply becuase they are no longer made....

And Dan Wessons....for the same reason.

Only going to go up in value.......supply and demand at its best!!

·
Registered
12,845 Posts
Oooooo...a tough question...especially as one may well have 'favorites', plural, even within each Frame size or within any given Model's evolution or duration.

I suppose, if push came to shove...for me, with a view of Urban CCW, it'd be their pre-WWII, 2 inch "M&P" Snubby.

If anticipating heavier orders of necessity, or just wanting the option, then, the earliest of the 1960s era 'S-Prefix', "Model 58", which was a .41 Magnum with plain 'duty' Sights.

But they made so many truely splendid Revolvers, and for so very long...it is just too impossible a question!

·
Premium Member
7,489 Posts
I'm thrilled to read this topic. As mentioned in another thread I started, my wife has started shooting and get her CCP. I wanted to get a more comfortable revolver for both of us. I am considering the S & W's since they are somewhat more reasonably priced (and going up also) and little more available as compared to the Colts . I just know very little of the different Smith models. That model 65 looks like the ticket. I've noticed that the Smiths have some collectors models too at collectors prices.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I don't have a picture handy but my favorite Smiff is actually two revolvers of the same nomenclature but 30 years apart in age and slightly different in design.
1. Mid 20's Regulation Police, 38, S&W, 4", "I" frame
2. Mid 50's (pre model #) same name, same chambering, same barrel, Improved "I" frame.
The fit and finish on both of these is on par with Colts of the same time periods.
Indeed, they ain'ta maken'em like they usedta!!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
As far as S&W, My favorite would be the earlier p&r'd K frame snub m19/66. I have one of each, and they some of the best looking/handling revolvers to me.
I don't have one, but wouldn't mind a 3.5" m27 also.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I think that the best pure combat revolver is the S&W M625.
  • Proven defensive caliber (.45ACP)
  • Great combat accuracy
  • Fastest reloads and most secure unloads (no empties under the extractor star)
  • Very good, easily tuned trigger
  • Built like a truck

It's available in about any practical barrel length.
M625-4 5inch.jpg M625-3.jpg M625-4 3in.jpg S&W 625-10.jpg

And if you want one with a 6½" barrel, you can get a blued M25-2.

Buck

Reactions: 6Actual

·
Registered
368 Posts
3" Stainless Ruger GP100 for self defense and 4" S&W 651 (stainless .22 WRM "Kit Gun") for trail gun, mainly used for small game and ground squirrel poppin'. There's no currently available Colt quite like these. Pretty much sweat-proof, which is important down here in the sunny latitudes. I have big hands but shoot two-handed and have tried all kinds of grips on both, but always returned to the Compact Lett grips for the GP and the S&W rubber "boot grips" for the 651. They aren't bulky and they work for me.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Just bought a K22 Masterpiece w/ 6" barrel from 1980 with box and papers. Large factory grips, wide trigger and hammer. Quality and smoothness of action and overall workmanship is fantastic.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
K-22 Outdoorsman, comfortable grips, smooth action, crisp triggier, bluing is to die for. I did a side by side comparison with my equivalent Officers Model Target .22, I won't say which one won!

S&W K-22 Collection 004.jpg

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Something like a mother loving her child, it's my efforts getting it from before to after. Always wanted a S&W Triple Lock & bought it 1982 for $135. I was learning to engrave & probably my best job & nickeled it with the Texas Plater kit. The grips I had made in Africa 1951 working there. Back home '52 I did the eagle. Big memory lane thing with me.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I'm partial to a GP100. First revolver I ever owned. I've put thousands of rounds thru it to the point that when I pick it up and point it, it feels almost like an extension of my hand. I also like my M57, just because its fun to shoot!

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
I have a 4in S&W Model 25 that I'm pretty partial to.

·
Registered
7,260 Posts
Probably this one

Charles, I have a blued Mod 13-2 like your Mod 65. It has the best D.A. trigger pull of any of my revolvers and it's one of my favorites.
The overall size and 3" heavy barrel is excellent for carry, but I think they are pretty heavy guns.
When I think about the weight I usually opt for a high cap semi auto to carry instead.

I had a very nice Mod 58 which I recently sold. N frames are fascinating guns but also, too big for carry for more than a few hrs. a day as far as I'm concerned.

·
Premium Member
6,468 Posts
My favorite non-Colt revolvers are my S&W 8 3/8" 629 because I have killed a bunch of deer with it, and my S&W 2 1/2" 19 because it has been with me through the ups and downs of 30+ years of life. I think the Smith 19 is one great Snubby .357.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts