Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since this is a Colt revolver forum and since Colt doesn't make revolvers anymore :-( I am curious to hear just what kind of good ol' classic colts everybody carries for defense. What kind of Colt do you carry? Why?

I carry an Official Police .38 Special 4 inch. I like it, it is a plane jane revolver look. Not flashy or overbearing. Doesn't look wimpy but doesn't look overbearing overbearing either. Not too big, not too small, has a 4 inch barrel so you get the full power of the .38 as opposed to a 2 inch snubbie. I like the revolver as opposed to the auto because it's simple, fewer things can go wrong with it and if it was good enough for police for 100 years, it's good enough for me now.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I bought an Agent this spring to carry as a back-up to my S&W M625 in .45 ACP.

When I worked in uniform, I was known to carry a 1917 Colt.

[This message has been edited by Muley Gil (edited 06-08-2005).]

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Wife carries a 2" 1955 vintage O.P. in a handbag holster(used to carry a .32 Courier!). 4 inch ".357" for me,but I prefer my 5" M-610 S&W. Used to have a "beater" 1917 for a "steering column gun",when I drove dump truck part time. A .22 Cobra(with CCI mini mags) went to graduate school with our daughter for several($$$expensive tuition!) in Boston.

Bud

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lonewolf:
Wife carries a 2" 1955 vintage O.P. in a handbag holster(used to carry a .32 Courier!). 4 inch ".357" for me,but I prefer my 5" M-610 S&W. Used to have a "beater" 1917 for a "steering column gun",when I drove dump truck part time. A .22 Cobra(with CCI mini mags) went to graduate school with our daughter for several($$$expensive tuition!) in Boston.

Bud
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't know they made the O.P. in 2".

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Muley Gil:
I bought an Agent this spring to carry as a back-up to my S&W M625 in .45 ACP.

When I worked in uniform, I was known to carry a 1917 Colt.

[This message has been edited by Muley Gil (edited 06-08-2005).]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I remember you telling about hte 1917 on another thread. 1996 wasn't it? I'm surprised a police department would let you carry a gun that old. In my mind, nothing fits the police image more than a classic Colt/S&W revolver. Autos feel more military to me.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Colt Agent rides in an ankle holster everyday loaded with 125 gr. Nyclad hollowpoints as my back up gun. Being in FLA where it's too hot to wear a jacket (I'm in plain clothes), my duty auto stays in the car unless I know we're going into a high risk situation.

[This message has been edited by CFPython (edited 06-08-2005).]

·
Registered
937 Posts
Not only did the PD allow it, they ISSUED me the gun. My department would cull the keepers of the guns that we had collected from crimes, recoveries, etc and allowed each officer to check out a duty gun and a back-up. I managed to get several, including a 1917 S&W. My BUG was a nickel Cobra .38 Special.

One Cpt. had a 1911 (not A1) that he carried.

Had to turn everything in when I retired. Tried to buy them, but no go.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Muley Gil:
Not only did the PD allow it, they ISSUED me the gun. My department would cull the keepers of the guns that we had collected from crimes, recoveries, etc and allowed each officer to check out a duty gun and a back-up. I managed to get several, including a 1917 S&W. My BUG was a nickel Cobra .38 Special.

One Cpt. had a 1911 (not A1) that he carried.

Had to turn everything in when I retired. Tried to buy them, but no go.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

WOW! Does that PD still have that policy? Do they still issue those old guns? Cool!

You mean they didn't think you'd need 15 rounds in your gun with a dozen magazines on your belt in case an army of 200 Islamic terrorist ever surrounded your patrol car with AK-47s. ;-)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Colt Agent most of the time as it is a beater but a shooter. I just acquired a DS (1976 era) but it is in such good shape I hate to shoot it. I made the mistake of adding Eagle Secret Service grips to the DS and it is calling my name.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
One of the "great ironies" of the alloy framed lightweights(all makes)is that they were meant to be carried plenty and shot sparingly(at least with "business" level loads),BUT their anodized finish will wear much quicker than their blued all steel "heavier brothers". Holster,belt or pocket carry,that anodizing wont stand up,like blue steel,and I've yet to see a "touch up product" that can blend in,and stay on,even in a tiny area,like a good touch up blue will do on small wear areas on blued steel.

Anyone ever have any experiences with a nickled Cobra(earliest one). Always wondered how the nickle stayed on the alloy compared to "blued alloy"???? Got outbid at an estate sale about 15 years ago on a 2" nickled .32 Cobra,that had been some old dowagers bureau draw gun. Looked like "fired one cylinder"(burns on front),nicely cleaned and put away,not a scratch on that nickle! Probably kept in with her girdles and support hosiery-gawd!

Bud

·
Registered
909 Posts
My truck/belt gun is a pre-war 4" PPS (.38 Special). Light and handy.

And as goofy as this may sound to some of you, when wolves are around (they killed two deer on my property this winter) or black bears take down the birdfeeders, I carry a 5 1/2" New Service in .38-40. Lots of "thump" and not much "bump"(recoil).

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Doesn't sound "crazy" to me,Bushwacker! After all,a "newer generation" of "experts",discovered the .40 S&W,which has ballistics,with 180gr. bullets(yeah I know,the bullets are better today),jus about the same as the "old" 38/40 round.

I rebuilt a 7 1/2" New Service several years ago for an "older gent"(even older than me!!) 38/40. Widened the front sight,and rear notch for his older eyes,retimed it,and put on smooth walnut 1917 stocks,grip adapter and late model rounded cyl. latch,for "comfort in recoil". He wanted it for a "woods hiking gun"-and with my handloads of 180 gr. hard cast swcs,over 9.3 of Unique,at a shade over 1000 fps. he is well armed for the S. Maine woods. I have a "stock" 7 1/2 38/40 New Service,an early SAA and early Bisley,both in that Caliber. Accuracy can be a problem,with older,oversize(over .403") bores however! Bud

·
Registered
937 Posts
The Cobra that I carried was nickel and it started to peel and flake after about a year. It rode in an ankle holster and I wiped it down on a regular basis.

As far as I know, the PD does still issue guns, if you request it. Of course, Glocks and Sigs go first. Not sure how many old revolvers or 1911s are left. They started torching a bunch right after I retired.

[This message has been edited by Muley Gil (edited 06-10-2005).]

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
hello to all , depends on how i dress , but since we're discussing wheelgun , first my offical police with a 2 inch barrel ( i added )can use +P , colt det special with hammer shroud ( in a clasic lewis police special cross-draw ) and colt cobra LW ( in a buchheier up-side down shoulder holster ), but a politcal funraisers i wear the two snubbies ( one on my ankle and the other in a pocket holster), its ok i live in new york where you can still carry a gun , if and only if you know some right people , enjoy the weekend , rj

·
Registered
293 Posts
A 2" D'back on occasion. It's hot where I live so I have little option but to carry the Kel Tec 3aT most of the time. In cold weather I usually opt for a .45 auto.
f.t.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I don't have to carry guns any more, but if I need one in the car or where ever I am it's usually the old "D" frame, either the older Detective Special or the Police Positive Special. I rely on those older folks made pre forties. Reliability!! If I perchance happen to wander into the lawless hinterlands, then I partner up with one of my Colt 1911Al commercials (circa 1930's). Compfy?? Yes!! Henri

·
Registered
267 Posts
Occasionally I carry a Detective Special or a Gov 380. Both carry well and are easy to use. Good guns. To bad they stopped making them both.....

------------------
10mm and 357 sig. The best things to come along since the 38 Super.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts