Colt Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a Stainless (NOT a LW) Colt 1991A1 Compact Old Roll Mark (from another thread of mine, yes I kept my commander).

I want to buy some extra magazines but don't know what brand to get.

Should I stay with Colt OEM and or will any brand work?

Should I stay with 6 round magazines or do 7 round magazines work just as well?

Thanks for your help and input.

·
Registered
267 Posts
​I have some blued Mec-Gar 1911 Compact 6-round magazines that I really like (flush fit.) I don't know if they make stainless ones though. Colt OEM work great also.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Every colt mag I have ever owned has been crapola. Kimber provides better magazines imho, and I dont use them either. That is my experience. Every time I buy a new colt 1911 the mags go in the box to stay and I shoot them with my aftermarket mags.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
ftf's. I have never had luck with any of the colt mags. Not in the officers model, commander, 10mm, etc. I do not even bother to try them anymore. Obviously Colt does not make their own mags, but you would think they would come up with a better supplier. YMMV. maybe I just got all their junky ones

·
Registered
713 Posts
Ones that work:) Different guns like different magazines. Try one of each brand until you find the one YOUR gun likes. Then try another.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
top of my list, factory colt and wilson.
mccormick, kimber, etc should be ok too.
personally I hate mecgar.
it all depends but you might even find that the cheap military surplus type mags with the assembly number on the base plate might work fine but i'd stick with factory colt and wilson.

(disclaimer) just like a lot of other things there are fake colt mags out there that look original but are fake. don't ask me how to tell a fake, I know when I see one but there are different fakes and describing the differences between all of them could fill a book.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I use Colt Mags in my Colt, Wilson Combat mags in my Wilson, Ed Brown mags in my Ed Brown, Kimber mags in my Kimber, Springfield mags in my Springfield. I have mismatched them as well without any issues, but I feel must comfortable using the mags for that particular gun. Which company is going to supply sub-par mags with their guns?

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Wilson, Colt hybrid, Chip McCormick, in that order. Back when I was shooting a lot of PPC with my Springfield Trophy Match Longslide, I bought 25 contract 7-rounder mags for $5 apiece, did a fluff-n-buff on them and added a view hole for the seventh round, and never had the first problem with any of them. Another friend bought 12, did nothing to them, and still had no problems. Great for that particular sport because you could preload them before the match and not load during the match. I've never used them in a working gun, however.

Buck

·
Registered
11,698 Posts
Some of the best .45 magazines ever made were the WWII military magazines.. The majority of the magazines were made by the M.S. Little company, and were made out of either seamless steel tubing or gas welded steel tubing. For many years they could be found from three to five dollars in excellent to unissued condition, but as the Model 1911A1 collecting became more popular their price went up.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I use Colt, Check-Mate, McCormick, and Metal Form magazines interchangeably in all of my 1911s without any problems. The only magazines I refuse to buy or use are Triple K and Pro Mag.

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
Wilson Combat mags are the best in the industry. I've tried them all.

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Intresting thread. Ive never had any issues with my colt factory mags in my 1911s , .380 or ARs. While at the range a few weeks ago my brother was shooting his Sig 45, he couldnt get it to empty one mag without FTF problems. He had Sig and Wilson mags with him. I pulled out the Gold Cup and went through a box of 100 with my Colt mags .....100% reliable no issues. I love my Colt's!

-Mike

1 - 19 of 19 Posts