Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently picked up what I think is a Model 1892 "New Army and Navy" revolver at a local auction.The left side of the barrel is marked Colt D.A. 38.
The top of the barrel is marked:
COLT'S PT. F.A. MFG. CO,
HARTFORD CT. U.S.A.
PAT.AUG 5. 84,NOV.6 88,MAR 5. 95,
The barrel is 3" in length.
Serial #145625 on butt.
On the frame and crane,the cylinder release,and scratched on the inside of the grips is the number 348
The grips are checkered hard rubber with the "Rampant Colt" in an oval molded into them.
The "Rampant Colt" is also marked on the rear of the frame just above the grips on the left side.
The finish has about 75% of the blued finish left.
Thanks for any help on identifying this pistol.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Hi Duster42,
You have a Colt New Army Model 1895 revolver. From the serial number it was probably made about 1900 to 1901. The Rampant Colt horse on the grip panel makes it a New Army model rather than the New Navy model that sports the word "COLT" in an oval on the top part of the grip. Sounds like a very nice Colt! Hope that helps! Bob Best

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just looked at the grips again and they have Colt molded above the Rampant Colt does this mean this is the New Navy Model?

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is there a book or web site that will help identify these pistols?How do you tell the difference between the Army and Navy models?

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Hi Duster42,

Sorry I didn't see your reply to me earlier... sometimes I miss them! Re: your question, "Yes", you have a New Navy Model if it has the word "COLT" in an oval at the top of the grip. The only difference (for all intents and purposes) between the two was what style grips they wore... Hope that helps...

As for your question about a Book on them... I wrote one ... You can see a review of it at Ty Moore's coolgunsite.com. The second printing is just coming out and copies are avilable.. Contact me off line at [email protected] if you want additional information... Thanks! Bob Best

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Hi Duster42,
Just looked at your post again... Better clarify here... If there is a horse on the grips flanked by two roses and a small word "colt" over it, you have a New Army... If there is just the BIG word "COLT" in an oval it is a New Navy model... Hope that helps... Bob Best

1 - 7 of 7 Posts