Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to say it's the Courier. Just over 3000 manufactured and you can buy em much less than book value.

BTW: The book is wrong about the .22 is worth a premium over the .32 cal. Look at expired auctions and how many .22's do you see vs. .32 cal's?

I have 2 Couriers both in .32 cal. One is with a steel cylinder and the other has an aluminum cylinder.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Addicted: I would assume that the reason the 22 is listed at a premium is due to the number manufactured relative to the total. I suspect you are correct about the 32 Couriers since people who bought them shot them and used them. Hence, it may be harder to find one in excellent condition.

I also have two Couriers, both 22's. One nickel and one blue. The nickel one is just your kind of gun as it is special. Lettered blue, but I believe Colt nickel plated it. Colt does not disagree with me that it may in fact be factory. The easy search of their records did not reveal the nickel plating.

Other sleepers are the Troopers (original model). Also I believe that interest in the Mark III's (22's) will grow with the passage of time and they will match the other Colts in value. The production period was too short for Colt to make many and most shot them since they were less expensive than the Diamondback at the time. So, it is time to pick them up and save them.

Cobra 22's are also special. Not so many years ago, many dealers didn't even know that Colt made a Cobra 22.

I believe most of the 22 revolvers are collectable. It will take years for the Woodsman models other than the pre-1955 or after the second series production run to be of much interest. The Match Targets are the exception. The Match Targets in excellent condition are pricey.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[ QUOTE ]
I also have two Couriers, both 22's. One nickel and one blue. The nickel one is just your kind of gun as it is special. Lettered blue, but I believe Colt nickel plated it. Colt does not disagree with me that it may in fact be factory. The easy search of their records did not reveal the nickel plating.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey rim, Email me a pic or two of your nickeled Courier. I know it's probably not for sale but the potential originality has caught my interest.

I'm not going to letter my blued Commando for the same reason. I think it'll come back as parkerized. Same reason your Courier came back as blued.

I've never seen another steel cylinder like mine in a .32 cal. They do exist in the .22LR's. Have you seen any steel .32's?

I own more .22's than any other caliber. Most went for the more potent calibers that left fewer .22's for today's buyers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I realize that your posting on ColtForum was back in September of '05, but I was searching for information on Courier revolvers and thought I should respond.

I do have a Colt Courier in .32 NP that has a steel cylinder and barrel. I tested it with a magnet and the magnet sticks to the cylinder and barrel. The serial number is in the 286XX LW range. The serial number on the frame and yoke match.

It has turned a deep plum color near the Colt role mark. The rest of the frame is dark blue/black. The cylinder and barrel are a little lighter blue/black color. The grips are original. The role marks are very clear and crisp.

It is an interesting gun to have.

·
The Searcher
11,101 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Although I was not an original poster on this topic and don't have a Courier, I will comment that in the Cobra, Courier and Agent, indeed only the frame was alloy. The Aircrewman originally had an alloy cylinder which was the cause of their almost immediate recall per TBOCF. TBOCF also shows a "proposal" light weight with alloy cylinder. I'm surprised there was no more discussion about Addicted's alloy cylinder. Most recognize, however, that "odd variations" are very possible with Colts and never say never. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

1 - 6 of 6 Posts