Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, yesterday (I think) GVF posted about buying a Sig, and as penance, he donated an equal amount of money to charity. I'm curious what other "prices" people pay when they buy a new gun.

For myself, with my now ex-wife, when I got a new gun, she got diamond jewelty. I'll try to not make a short story long (which I have a habit of doing), but the up side is that I still have all the guns. She couldn't stand the pressure of being a wife and mother, so I also got the house and kids. A year after the divorce, she managed to go bankrupt trying to start a new life, and wound up selling all the jewelry to a "cash for gold" place. I don't wish her any ill (at least not often), but she sure did make some bad decisions. Sorry if this falls into the TMI category, but this is the Lounge, right?

Which brings me to my fiance, and soon-to-be wife (in August). She has stated that she gets a Lowe's gift card to spend on plants, flowers, trees, or home items whenever I buy a gun. I'm thinking this is too good to be true!

Just curiuos what arrangements that other folks have with their conscience or their significant other?

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
The only other price I pay is to purchase ammo and holsters to go with the gun, then range fees.

When I was married, if I wanted a gun, I bought it. Same when divorced.

GSO, sounds like you found a keeper. Treat her well!

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
She gets to not know about it when a gun is bought.:p .. only kidding. she's not blind and can read the word "Colt " when the safe door is opened up. So, she knows. They know everything.

We kind of do the same. wife likes plants and flowers outdoors. It has turned into buying for the kids now. mostly clothes, then toys. Then its toys then clothes. oh yeah.. then clothes again. then a good dose of new furniture. Nothing like not needing a $600 dollar crib anymore. I'm putting in the WTS section listed as 99%, no box, but original papers, wood is excellent with no teeth marks, (they like to knaw like a horse on wood), UNFIRED, but mattress has been TURNED.

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
+1 for Collects sentiments.. found a good one GSO. A hen aint much of a hen that won't scratch for her bitties .. as the old folks say.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Just curiuos what arrangements that other folks have with their conscience or their significant other?

I don't have any type of arrangement, just common courtesy. There is (or should not be) any me, me, me, I, I, I, in a relationship. Marriage is a 60/40 split, and you both have to give 60.

I have no hesitation to spend $100 on a gun book I want or $1,000+ on a new collectible, but I also have no problem having the kitchen remodeled, laying down some wood flooring, or taking the wife to Niagara Falls or a snowmobile ride in Yellowstone Park.

John Gross

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
For me, usually, if it’s a prewar Single Action or Winchester that I really, really, really want; I’ll probably pay too much, what I call a “collector’s tax”, that’s my penance! :eek:

In our going on 36 years of marriage we’ve never felt that if one person buys something it needs to be offset by the other buying something of equal value; so that’s never been an issue. If either of us wants or needs something and it isn’t a financial issue, then it’s a non-problem.

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
My wife grew up with a father that collected....everything. She is genetically inclined to allow me my occassional purchase of a firearm without nary a twitch of a raised eyebrow and has actually found some great Colts for me that I might otherwise have overlooked. We have a very close understanding and appreciation of what the other likes, needs, wants and does. I never mention her shoe accumulation and the jeweler made her 2 nice pieces per hers and my input. Our relationship can best be described as a "oneness" and I'm one very lucky man.

·
Premium Member
12,780 Posts
It's gotten better. I had to really explain, a million years ago, why there was a new car in the driveway every month or two. I got really good at explaining the rationale for this one or that one. But I made sure that my wife knew that she meant more to me than any possession and she never wanted for anything. At some point she asked the last question; why do you need this vehicle. I stopped reasoning and merely said; "Because I want it." That made it much easier to come home with Colt's and not get aksed why I needed it. She knew it was because I wanted it. Conversely, when she wants something I just stand mute! I ain't no dummy. :eek:

·
Premium Member
4,666 Posts
Never having been married, I pay nothing "extra". If I see something I want, and if I can swing it-I buy it. I don't have to explain, bribe or cover up. That's why there is a buffalo head and a shark in my living room, my laundry room's full of guns and the walls are covered with Remington and Russell. It's the way I like it and to be honest, I wouldn't change it for anything. Nothing against marrage mind you, it's just not for me..

·
Registered
687 Posts
I have a great wife. Once I was at a pawn shop and saw an old S&W 38 HD. I told my wife about it an she asked if I bought it. I said no because I really didn't need it. She replied, "what does need have to do with it, do you want it?" She also insists that any money I make from selling a gun goes right back into a "gun fund" for future purposes.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
For me, usually, if it’s a prewar Single Action or Winchester that I really, really, really want; I’ll probably pay too much, what I call a “collector’s tax”, that’s my penance! :eek:

In our going on 36 years of marriage we’ve never felt that if one person buys something it needs to be offset by the other buying something of equal value; so that’s never been an issue. If either of us wants or needs something and it isn’t a financial issue, then it’s a non-problem.
I've been married 36 years and countingand we pretty much feel the same as Old Colts. I spent the weeks grocery money on my first Python about 2 months into my marrige. I couldn't pass it up -n it was $100.00!!! About a year ago I was bidding on a Remingtom Custom Shop gun. I emailed her a work that I was bidding on "something for the safe and the bid was at $1,200.00 - what did she think?? her answer was God Speed !! I did end up with the rifle. So there's no quibbling over who bought what and/or how much it was.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
I bought my 2nd X a Ruger SP101. Don't hear much from her anymore. Once in a while.

I drove my 1st X's boyfriend's chicklets down his miserable, useless, freekin' throat. Don't hear from those folks at all, ever.

#2 was a decent woman.

#1 was a faithless, untrustable ........ well, you get the picture.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I got lucky (or I did my homework) My Father in law has more guns than I do.....but I am trying to catch up. My wife was raised with many guns, so it was natural when I found strays at the pound that needed a good home. The first I brought home after our marrige was a Mossburg 500 pursuader 18" with the 8rd tube. She soon claimed it as hers and often shoots skeet with it (18"!! I KNOW!!). So sorry guys she is all mine......keep moving, she is more than spoken for.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts