Colt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I found this in a junk shop in Illinois last week and ended up buying it. Not sure why I bought it but its' relic condition appealed to me plus it didn't cost much. Oh, and no pesky firearms paperwork either - ha, ha.
It looks like a 9 shot .22 to me. Barrel is 6 inches.
I asked about the history and the junk shop guy said he bought it from a junker who found it under the seat of a tow truck in a junkyard in Lincoln, Illinois. Sure looks like it spent time in the ground.
Things I was curious about are what make the revolver is and maybe its' age.
Thanks!
Kim

Attachments

·
Registered
9,798 Posts
Harrington and Richardson built something like this one, but the model number escapes me - the oversized grips were square-butt and hid the unusual bird's head.

A Gunpartsco/Numrich catalog should show the parts breakdown and be able to identify it, but I'm away from mine.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Based upon the cylinder pin latch, definitely a H&R, but I can't say which one. It's not a Trapper Model (which has an octagon barrel).
I think it could use a re-blue:D

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,622 Posts
Feralmerril has it.....it's a H&R 922 Second Model, Large Solid Frame.

These were made in several variations, starting in 1938 and discontinued in 1953. This model had a round barrel.
The numbers on the grip frame may not be the serial number since the serial numbers apparently started around 171000.

The First Model had an octagon barrel and "saw handle" grip, made in several variations. This was made from 1927 to 1937.

I'd guess the model shown above in the original post was made in the late 30's or early 40's.

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys! This one will go on my "gun wall" in the garage - the wall that contains my rusty artifacts.
Kim

·
Banned
1,794 Posts

Hmm... first handgun I ever bought was a H&R 922! I had shot my uncle's 357 S&W revolver a couple times, but did not actually own a handgun at the time. As I recall, they were a very well made little revolver, very accurate, good "camp" or "hiking" gun, and most importantly, inexpensive, (at least compared to a Colt or a Smith & Wesson, which was important to a teenager!) Actually, I wish I still had that little revolver, as it was a real tack-driver!

And now, thinking of that gun, made me recall our choice of targets back then also! As I've always been an "environmentalist", it would always irritate me to find broken bottles and other "man-made" crap and corruption just left on the ground (for someone else to clean up), after some jerk had been "target shooting" up in our canyons above Golden, Colorado, I came across the perfect solution. One of my buddies had a roll of "NECCO Wafers" (Google them)) in his pocket, and after lining up about ten of these on the ground, I found they made excellent targets, and the big advantage to them, was that they would dissolve right into the ground, the first time it rained or even sprinkled! I don't know whether or not these things are still even made, but if so, try 'em, you might like 'em, the white ones (especially) are easy to see (even at a distance), as they're about the size of a quarter, and you don't even have to "hike" out to your target to see if you hit it or not! :D

nowinca

·
Registered
9,798 Posts
I used to use 'NECCO Wafers' when I taught new shooters, on the theory that a reactive target was more impressive than an NRA Smallbore target.

Later, when I had more money - Blue Rock worked well, and the breaking of the larger fragments was most enjoyed.

'Then' I'd introduce my new shooters to paper and since they'd already convinced themselves that they were pretty decent shots, they buckled down and made some tight groups.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Funny, I saw this thread last night, then looked at the latest issue of American Rifleman from NRA and there is a little segment on one in there.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts