Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have acquired a 3" Python blued barrel and don't know what to do with it for sure. I was thinking about finding a gun that wasn't in perfect condition and seding it to Colt to have the barrel screwed on and refinished. I know it wouldn't be an original gun, but I don't think I will ever be able to afford an original one either. Or I have seen the barrrels bringing a decent amount of money on gunbroker. Has anybody ever had Colt refinish one, if so is it as good as the original finish was? Also would I be devaluing a gun by changing out the barrel? Thanks

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any idea what a 3" Python would be worth that wasn't original? I just don't want to sink a bunch of money into and not be able to get it back if I decide to sell.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I would say a 3" barrel will bring around $1k at current market prices. I would pay that for one, put it on a old 6" frame and have it hard chromed for a awesome carry piece. I am often told I have more money than brains though :cool:

·
Registered
382 Posts
rather see you sell it to someone who like marc would make a custom shooter out of it than to someone who would make and market a fake. IMOP

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
There is a guy on gunbroker who buys up all the 3" barrels and mysteriously a few months later a 3" Nickel Python shows up in a fake box for a mear $6500. Gee, wonder what he is doing?

·
Registered
101 Posts
didn't I read somewhere about some outfit in CA taking 8" guns and cutting them to 3" and calling them combat pythons? FOr 1k for just the barrel couldn't a person have that process duplicated?

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I've have heard of people machining a 8" barrel down to a 3" but I would imagine unless you have the ability to do it yourself, you would pay a pretty penny to have it done. I would rather just grab a 3" off of Gunbroker and call it a day.

·
Registered
101 Posts
i guess a pretty penny is relative, to me 1k is getting there in a hurry. (but then I have not spent that much any of my 5 pythons yet....)

·
Premium Member
1,933 Posts
I returned a 1960's 6" blue Python to Colt some years ago and had them rebarrel it in 3" and nickel plate it, it is a beautiful gun......the gun, barrel and action work and refinish all together came to less than $1,000 at the time....came back to me in a blue custom shop box.......I put the pictures up here a few years ago.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Aaahhh those were the days. Now we're paying $1k for a barrel. I guess it is relative though like idelk said. The price of a Honda was much less than too. How come my paychecks are nearly the same though????

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I had and sold a PERFECT NIB lettered 3" Combat Python a couple years ago. It was too nice and valuable to actually shoot. Of the 6 Pythons I've owned, it was always my favorite in feel and balance. It's too bad Colt didn't actually produce more of them in this configuration. Shorty after selling my Combat Python, I ran across a 3" Python (non-original) with a less than ideal finish, and sent it back to Colt for a complete refinish/trigger work. Now I have a shootable 3" Python, I don't have to be concerned about loss of "value". I'll never try to pass it off as a legitimate 3" gun, nor will I actually ever sell it. I have a 6" BSS shooter Python as well as my 3" and the 3" is still my favorite shooter. I used to be big into my "Snake Gun" collection and had several NIB versions I never shot, but having guns you can never shoot, to me, is just a waste. I sold all of them and now just have a few really nice shooters. To each his own on collectors. If you want to put a 3" gun together as a shooter I say "go for it" but I wouldn't be concerned about making any money on it in the open market.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am not concernd about making money on it at all. And if I did put the barrel on ot I wouldn't ever represent it as original. I wuld love to have one, but I guess it would be hard to turn down that kind of money for just a barrel.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts