Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please don't lecture me on this or whatever I know Ive almost died or could have been seriously wounded from this. This only happened a few days ago. I thank god I walked away with not even a scratch. This gun no longer has its original barrel. My father and a friend of mine say just to keep it as is just as a reminder. Its such a shame this happened to this 1919 Colt Army Special. It needs a new barrel thats for sure... I don't think its worth fixing as now its lost its value as a gun and well I hate having a gun I can't shoot I don't own safe queens. Such a damn shame a Colt Army Special in decent shape is toast now!

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Wow, glad you are ok. How many bullets? A squib followed by how many? I think I would keep it around, might even get a barrel and repair it, but I would think about it a while first though.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I see barrels for that on GB quite often.
Maybe shop around for one that is in like condition as the rest of the revolver and have it replaced.
Glad you and anyone near you during this event are OK.

·
Registered
7,892 Posts
If the split in the barrel extends back into the frame threads you might have an issue. And if so, is the frame still serviceable.

Don't feel too bad I blew up a nice almost new Single Action Army. I don't think it was an overcharge in my case, but I side slipped the hammer and it went off before it had indexed. It went boom, felt like a hot 44 magnum. Had to drive the case out, but I was lucky because only the cylinder was bulged, and I had Colt fixed it.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Put it up on Gunbroker! Here is the ad.

"Like New 1919 Colt Army Special. Extremely high condition. Scarce and desirable Fleur de Lis stocks with no cracks or chips. Barrel shows some signs of use. $14,239 OBO, plus $50 shipping to your FFL" lol

It looks like there are at least 2 bullets stuck in the barrel.

How did this happen? I presume, but would like to read your account, that you had a squib load, a bullet got stuck in the barrel, and you fired the gun again with the obstruction in the barrel (probably only once after the first bullet lodged in the barrel). Is this close to what happened? What kind of ammo were you using? It must have been a very exciting event!

Most importantly, I am very happy that you did not get injured.

That gun would look great on the wall in a shadow box, and would be an excellent conversation starter.

Poor old Colt Army Special, RIP.

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
That's sad. If the frame is still intact and undamaged and you can still screw the barrel out of it, I'd say it's worth rebarrelling.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Oh my!

Glad you are okay!

Eeeeeeesh!

If you were to consider selling it, being as I am learning Gun Smithing on the early 20th Century Cold 'DA's, I would definitely be interested in it.

Be careful out there!

·
Registered
957 Posts
1) Remove the grips
2) Remove the cylinder
3) Place the frame in a well padded vise
4) Get a 3/8" (more or less) hardwood dowel
5) Drive out the bullets
6) Wrap the barrel with duct tape
7) Reinstall cylinder and grips
8) Let your brother-in-law test fire it! :D

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If I had the problem I'd think about taking out the barrel, cut off 2 1/2" of the muzzle end, thread it and have something like my New Service below, a work in progress.

Sometimes a damaged gun is just a step toward a new & different use.
Look at the first picture see where that crack goes? It wont work or look good I have a Dick Special anyway already that I carry around a lot. I would like a 6" barrel if I decide to repair it. Thats what I loved about this gun the fact it was an old school service revolver.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow, glad you are ok. How many bullets? A squib followed by how many? I think I would keep it around, might even get a barrel and repair it, but I would think about it a while first though.
2 bullets after the squib. I never have delt with this before personally. Now that I have I know what to feel hear and think now.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Put it up on Gunbroker! Here is the ad.

"Like New 1919 Colt Army Special. Extremely high condition. Scarce and desirable Fleur de Lis stocks with no cracks or chips. Barrel shows some signs of use. $14,239 OBO, plus $50 shipping to your FFL" lol

It looks like there are at least 2 bullets stuck in the barrel.

How did this happen? I presume, but would like to read your account, that you had a squib load, a bullet got stuck in the barrel, and you fired the gun again with the obstruction in the barrel (probably only once after the first bullet lodged in the barrel). Is this close to what happened? What kind of ammo were you using? It must have been a very exciting event!

Most importantly, I am very happy that you did not get injured.

That gun would look great on the wall in a shadow box, and would be an excellent conversation starter.

Poor old Colt Army Special, RIP.
You're a funny guy

I fired TWICE... Like I said in another reply I have never experienced a squib personally. I put a corroded round in the cylinder but I am not sure if that was the cause of it either it went off fine... It was a box of Independence .38 Special 130 Grain ammo lot U10R449 made in 2008 my buddy I helped move I got it for free. I shot the rest of the ammo out of my Dick Special and there was no issues. Three bullets lodged in the barrel yes of my poor old Army Special.

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Six inch barrel can restore it to the same as original & can't argue with that. The six inch barrel can look original. My thought was keeping the original gun together altho in changed configuration. In either case the gun was only original once. It can be a nice gun again. Good luck, whatever your decision.

·
Registered
10,515 Posts

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
I'm looking at how close to the frame the split is. I think you need to be concerned about some frame damage. Even though you can't see it. Go find a real gunsmith to check it out before re-barreling and shooting. Find some one who can do proper comparisons and measuring. Thanks, Joe

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm looking at how close to the frame the split is. I think you need to be concerned about some frame damage. Even though you can't see it. Go find a real gunsmith to check it out before re-barreling and shooting. Find some one who can do proper comparisons and measuring. Thanks, Joe
Monday I will....

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1) Remove the grips
2) Remove the cylinder
3) Place the frame in a well padded vise
4) Get a 3/8" (more or less) hardwood dowel
5) Drive out the bullets
6) Wrap the barrel with duct tape
7) Reinstall cylinder and grips
8) Let your brother-in-law test fire it! :D
Too bad im not married yet right? lol Im dating a gal now thats just the beginning step.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I've mentioned it before,but I rapid fired an Army special and ended up with 5 rounds in the barrel (one sticking out the front) and one wedged between the barrel and the cylinder.Had to drill out the barrel to be able to open the cylinder.Slight bulge in the barrel so I replaced it with a barrel from an OP. No damage to the frame or the action.I heard nothing different since I was wearing muffs and I noticed no difference in recoil. Very strong gun +stupid shooter = no harm done.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts