Colt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
There is absolutely nothing special about this blue plastic case and should be worth about $15.00. The reason it has a sales price of $170 is due to the current trend of counterfeiting "New-In-Box" Pythons. Anyone willing to pay $170 for this case will also have plans to package it with an unboxed and probably used Python and attempt to sell it as a remarkable and rare collection piece. Some will also purchase a bootleg outer sleeve for this blue case, and a fake Colt label and try to push it as a New-In-Box Colt. No, there is nothing special or valuable about this case. It is when a counterfeiter succeeds in ripping someone off, that it becomes valuable... to the counterfeiter.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Karnataka--IThanks for clearing that up. I have read many of your posts about all the fake Colt paper and boxes out there. I wish there was some way for someone like me to figure out which box went with this colt or that colt. I bought the book of colt papers but it doesn't go as far as to mention boxes. You're so knowledgeable on this I suggest you should write a book on it. We need something like dfariswheel did with the various Python grips. I. realize there are reasons not to draw a roadmap for the counterfeiters but that leaves the novices like me too often with nothing else but a guess.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry for the misspelling of your name. Gotta love this Apple iPad autocorrect. I didn't catch it.

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
Surefire, all you have to do is ask this forum about anything related to Colt Packaging and there will be a bunch of guys all over it for you. I have never seen so many experts ready to share their knowledge, than right here at the Colt Forum. Although they will never tell you, I think some of these guys actually worked at Colt and built these fine guns.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I have found there are many experts on this forum, especially among the wheel gun collectors. Now I don't want to give away anything here, but on one of the genuine Python boxes I have, I found (I'm not going to say where for fear it too will be counterfeited if it isn't already, the words "Bradley Smithfield RI [zip code written out]." I checked and this company still exists. I take it they made boxes for Colt at some time but I don't know when. Is this a way to determine if some boxes are genuine? I didn't look at my other box because it has a gun in it and is in my safe.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
my favorate cases, my local gunstore was selling these and 1911 colt cases for ten bucks each back in the day i should have cleaned him out but only got one of each, i am still kicking myself.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, and I should have bought 100 DIAS and 100 LL back in the day, registered them all, and I ....? Yep, we let some things get away and you know what they say about hindsight.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Brownells sells the Colt blue plastic cases for I believe about $28 (as a dealer I get them for $23) but they are on back order. They have the S&W cases in stock but obviously who wants them :) These are the current cases not the smaller cases that go into the sleeve.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Brownells sells the replacement cases with Foam interiors, not to be confused with the subject of the OP which is a Factory Original case. Two entirely different animals.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was wondering why some of the cases I see have foam inserts and mine doesn't have any like the pictures in the GB link I posted.

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
I was wondering why some of the cases I see have foam inserts and mine doesn't have any like the pictures in the GB link I posted.
Colt packaged its Pythons and other double action revolvers in both the foam lined and the non-foam lined blue plastic cases, but did so during different production years (eras).

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry I've been out helping an old Air Force buddy hunt elk in Colorado and had no cell coverage for awhile. My question is, does any literature exist that shows what eras or years the different boxes ( foam-lined vs non) were used?

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Didn't the late Python's come in a blue plastic box with Foam interior?
Yes. But be aware that there is an auto case and a revolver case. And many of the current replacement cases are cases for the autos. These auto cases will have a single piece of foam in the upper half of the box and will have a holder for the chamber safety indicator plug.

The proper case for the late pythons will have will have 2 pieces of foam in the top half of the shell and a molded area for storing the orange cylinder safety disk.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yes, I have found there are many experts on this forum, especially among the wheel gun collectors. Now I don't want to give away anything here, but on one of the genuine Python boxes I have, I found (I'm not going to say where for fear it too will be counterfeited if it isn't already, the words "Bradley Smithfield RI [zip code written out]." I checked and this company still exists. I take it they made boxes for Colt at some time but I don't know when. Is this a way to determine if some boxes are genuine? I didn't look at my other box because it has a gun in it and is in my safe.[/QUOTE
Bradley Press makes all types of cardboard packaging, including " specialty packaging ". Gee, I wonder if that is the "warehouse " where a certain scammer from Sparta '' discovered a horde of original Colt boxes"( and labels, and inserts, and the list continues to grow..)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.